We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

Hello

Im looking for any tips or suggestions for any day trips that are good to do from New York City. I was thinking about Washington Dc for the day is this worth the trip? We(two 24 year old girls) are going in December over xmas and new years. Any advice and or tips on anything else that's a must in new York this year (2014) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kate

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

First, how long will you be here?

I ask because if it were me during that time, I would just spend it in NYC. It is one of the best times(my favorite) to be here. Holiday Markets/Christmas/NYE/shopping/etc. The city is just "alive" and the buildup for the ball drop in Times Square is pretty cool.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

Hello

We will be in New York for 10 days all up. Yes iv taken down lots of notes of all the holiday things to do which will be great but just thought we might do a day trip if we have a spare day.?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

Ok...with 10 days....you have some time. You can do a day trip....but it will be a LONG day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,337 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

We usually don't recommend Washington as a daytrip. If you haven't already paid for all 10 nights in NYC, you might want to consider an overnight in Washington. While it can be done in a day, it's a long day and what you can see in a day is somewhat limited. There's a current trip report witha. Daytrip to Washingtonthat I will try to find and link below.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,337 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

Start here at post 52, day trip to Washington

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7553735…

New York City
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

Philadelphia can be done in a Day Trip

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

For suggestions on what is on during that time have you seen this thread from last year. Everything you'll want to know about Christmas in New York (note, the dates are skewed for this year but you'll get the idea):

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976…

As for a day trip, does it have to be a city? There are some great day trips not as far and still in New York. How about taking a train up the Hudson to some of the cute little towns such as Tarrytown, visit the historic mansions of Kykuit or Vanderbilt (check opening days though, they might not open over winter), or walk over the Hudson at Poughkeepsie. The train trip is very scenic.

Or possibly the Hamptons...though a beachy place in winter wouldn't be the same.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

I've been to Philadelphia and the trip up the Hudson in the winter - both were great days.

Aynat is right to point out checking whether Kykuit and the Vanderbilt are open at that time of year. I can tell you they're not, but it's still a lovely day. The view from the left side of the train is amazing. We went to the Dia Museum at Beacon - contemporary works - and then got back on the train to Poughkeepsie to walk that walkway over the river. There are walks between the towns (they are along the aqueduct) and the towns are supposed to be very lovely (we didn't spend time there, but it's a popular way to spend the day). We left at ~9am and were back at Grand Central Terminal by ~4.30pm and stopped by the weird but fabulous Campbell Apartment at GCT for a cocktail.

In Philadelphia we went on a Friday, we spent most of the time at the Barnes Foundation, saw the Liberty Bell and had a few hours at the Art Museum as it was open till 9pm (a Friday). I felt another day there would be good to see more of the history, but we could have spent LESS time at the Barnes. Left at 7.30am and was back in NYC by 8.30pm...and if I wasn't 'arted out' we could have stayed at the Museum till it closed at 9pm.

So yes, very possible, including the much longer day to DC.

Have a fun time during your 10 days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

Thanks so much everyone for your replies I will definitely check out the links and google the suggestions. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tip/ Ideas for day trips New York City

Any other suggestions for things to do while in New York City?

I Have the following things as a starting guide:

Jersey Boys

Kinky Boots

Radio City Christmas show

Baseball/Basketball game

Head to the Bryant park holiday markets

ice skating in central park

The Slipper room Burlesque show?

Maybe a comedy club?

See the holiday windows.

Not exactly sure about where we will eat lunch Christmas day. Any ideas on that would be much appreciated. Budget not an issue.

Not exactly sure about New years eve either. Ciprianis was an idea.

We are staying at the Westhouse Hotel in Midtown and Trump Soho.

Any suggestions advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Kate