We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

Day 2 (Father’s Day)

Not sure I mentioned this, but we didn’t really have an itinerary for this trip. Well, there were definitely key sites we wanted to visit, but because of my many trips to the city, I decided we’ll pace ourselves and just go with the flow. Sunday would’ve been another perfect “theatre” day, but we decided to sightsee instead.

Highlights of the day

First subway ride – I’ve been telling the kids that only way we’d survive in the city is through lots of walking and subway rides. Knowing that we’d be in the city for 7 days or so, we decided to get the 1 week unlimited rides card for $30. After purchase 4 cards at Port Authority, we were off to Chinatown. I took them to Joe’s Shanghai. I went here earlier this year, and enjoyed the soup dumplings. The difference this time….there was no snow  It was a gorgeous Father’s Day in the city….so, so, so very warm!!! We enjoyed our lunch; we also order salt n pepper pork chops, and shredded pork noodle soup – delish! There’s always a line at Joe’s so be patient. If you have a small party, depending on their availability, they might end up having you sit with other customers and share a table with them….that happened in Feb, I didn’t mind.

Father’s Day Dare – after lunch, we walked around Chinatown some more and turned to a small street/alley with quite a few barbers/salons. My son was in desperate need of a haircut and we saw a sign for a $7 haircut. The selling point? Justin Timberlake got his haircut here….well his picture was posted outside hahahahahaaha. So I dared my son to get his haircut….and he agreed! Haircut accomplished. Directly after getting his haircut, we needed to get something cold to drink and opted to buy boba.

Staten Island Ferry – another reason for not attempting our luck with rush tickets today at the theatre – this day would’ve been the only other free day I’d have with them. The rest of the week I’ll be working and will be meeting them after work. Hence, the major sightseeing day. I’ve read up so much re: the Staten Island Ferry, and for the 1st time, I tried it and took my family along with me. It was a gorgeous Sunday as I had mentioned, and the waiting room was filled with lots of tourists. We took the 4pm ferry, and when we boarded, we sat on the left side, however, the views of the skyline and statue are on the right side. On the left side, we saw the Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn, and Governor’s Island….not a bad side at all. The moment the ferry arrived at Staten Island, many of us rushed to catch the other ferry that was getting ready to leave and head back to Manhattan. This time, instead of sitting on the left and right side, the ferry, we stood in the rear side of the ferry (which gave us an easy opportunity to move from right or left side). We stayed on the right side which gave us plenty y of opportunities to see the Statue and the skyline. What a great experience. We asked and offered the kids to take another cruise directly to the SOL, but they said the ferry cruise was fine, and they were happy with it.

World Trade Center – a little bit of a backstory. My wife and I were in NYC a week before the attack on the WTC. I was in a training class. She and I were scheduled to fly back from JFK to LAX on 9/11, but we changed our flight, and left on 9/10 (we had a 9 month son who stayed at home with grandma during this time). We have this picture of us when we got to the Statue, and we took a picture with the skyline in the background – the twin towers in all its glory (this was on the Friday before the attack). Although we’ve visited NYC as a couple since the attack, we’ve always referred to our Sept 2001 visit to our kids, and this time we were able to show them Ground Zero, the fountain, and the new WTC. As expected, it was a solemn, peaceful kind of visit.

Katz’s Deli – after visiting the WTC area, we headed off to Katz’s Deli. I’ve never been here before; I’ve only seen it from a far when I ate bagels at Russ and Daughters. Had to tell the kids how much of icon this restaurant is, but the pictures on the wall, and the energy was more than enough to convince them about the popularity of this restaurant. Of course, I had to order their famous pastrami sandwich….cravings satisfied!

That’s how we spent Father’s Day, another crazy good day that we will never forget.

Crandall, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

Thanks so much for posting day 2 gap4jason. Appreciate your taking the time to help us all out with your tips. Enjoying reading it.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

gap4jason:

You might want to consider moving day two to your day one report to make it easy for readers to follow.

Thanks for sharing!

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

Thanks BboyDTF and clanwilson....I will copy/paste Day 2 onto my original post....good idea!!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a fab day. I loved the view from the ferry.

Did you receive the questions posted on day one Jason? I was just wondering how your 10yr old experienced NYC? Just I am taking my 9yr old son this August for his first time.

Thanks maria

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

Hi MariahT83 - yes I received quite a few q's from Day 1 and still sorting through them. I'll go ahead and reply to your question and post it on my other post (for consistency and flow) :-) Just check the subject line - Our NYC Trip Report with our kids 10 and 13 yrs old.

Thanks for following our adventure.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

Aw thanks loads that's great, ill look forward to reading.

maria

7. Re: Trip Report: Day 2 - NYC with our kids (10 & 13 yrs old)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:16