We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary plan - help please :)

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary plan - help please :)

I am going to New York with my boyfriend from 27th December to 1st January (both evening flights). I have booked flights and our hotel, but am starting now to attempt to sort the plan...I have looked at where things are, but am still unsure on timings and how much we can actually fit in.

Below are the things we definitely want to do as first time visitors to New York:

Empire State Building (night)

Top of the Rock (day)

Statue of Liberty

Tenements museum

World Trade Centre monument and museum

Night bus tour

a show on Broadway

Sports game - basketball or football season I think.

We would also like to see if possible (or at least some of)

Brookyln Bridge

Grand Central Station

Central Park

Wall Street/ Financial District

Tiffany's/ Macy's/ Bloomingdales

St Patricks Cathedral

New York Library

The Highline

any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. I have attempted to draft a plan, but am not sure on when things will be the busiest/ best time to go to places.

Thanks

Kelly

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,084 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

Why a night bus tour?

As for a Broadway show, several of these sell out months in advance so be sure to check for availability. Also, I'd do the TOTR & Broadway on the same day as they're fairly close together. Tiffanys & Macys are in the same area as TOTR but Bloomies is not. Also St Patrick's Cathedral is in the area. New York Public Library is not too far away.

In general get a map & a guide book. If you go to http://www.nycgo.com/ you can download one for free or buy a paper copy.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

One day you could start with Top of the Rock (will get crowded later) from there go to St Patricks. Walk along 5th Av down to Grand Central Station, and from there to the NY Library.

Another day start with Statue of Liberty (book now!!!) after that walk from Battery Park to Wall St, see the NYSE building, visit Trinity church. From there walk to 9/11 memorial and museum. After that you could do your night bus tour. And after that you could go to Empire State Building (lines are usually shorter after 10pm and the views are nicer)

Another day go to the Tenement museum, after that go to the Brooklyn Bridge and shop the rest of the day.

On your last day you could also shop, just check if the stores would actually be open.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

Thanks for your replies, they are both really helpful.

I'm going to order a guidebook as I'm sure it will be useful. Does anybody know if shops are closed in the US on New Years Day?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

Hi jcisinthehouse, you recommended booking the Statue of Liberty now... is it wise to book in advance, or is just because end of the year is busy? Thanks! p.s. I'll be going late August.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

Hi guys, you will love NYC !1 although I imagine it will be rather chilly at this time of year. Would suggest getting a 7 day Metro Pass which covers you for as many trips on the subway as you like within the 7day period.Cost is only US$29 plus US$1 for the card.You can get these at most subway stations and you use them like you would on the tubes in London.The pass is activated from your first trip.There is so much to see in NYC that you will want to return. Hope this is of help and enjoy the Big Apple :-)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,084 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

Most of the shops except possibly some little mom & pop stores will be open on New Years & will also probably have post Christmas clearance sales going on although the merchandise might be a bit picked over from the December 26th sales fiends.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 14:27
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

You should book all the tickets (where necessary) in advance. That time of the year can get quite busy, so you must check for availability starting from now. I would also suggest the ice rink at Rockefeller Center and Manhattan. Also, as someone previously mentioned, you might see some great discounts in the shops around Christmas and New Year.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

Thanks, I'm just looking into starting the ticket booking process- first one will be the Statue of Liberty!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

Hi all

updated version below: any thoughts, help or suggestions are much appreciated. am i trying to do too much or too little?

Day 1: Fly and arrive 6pm. get to hotel (Long Island City), drop bags, go for wander and eat – diner by subway station maybe .

Day 2 - Sunday 28th December.

Statue of Liberty and Staten Island museum Booked for 10am

-> 9/11 Memorial and museum

night tour 6pm

Evening: Empire State, after dinner in Times Square

Day 3: Monday 29th December

--> Wall Street and New York Stock Exchange, have a look about

Tenements Museum

Brooklyn Bridge walk over – DUMBO and mooch round Brooklyn

evening: Brooklyn nets barclay center 7,30pm

Day 4: Tuesday 30th December

- Top of the Rock

St Patricks Cathedral

New York Library (5th Avenue)

Chrysler building-

Grand Central Station - Zaro's bakery

Evening: Broadway show

Day 5: Wednesday 31st December

shop? Tiffany's/ Macy's/ bloomingdales

Walking tour of Harlem/ Greenwich village/ any where else?

dinner

evenings: Central Park fireworks

Day 6: Thursday 1st (flight at 8pm)

Skating in Bryant Park (COURT Square – 7 train towards Times square (get off at 5th ave)

Lunch in the winter village

Visit the shops there (presents)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary plan - help please :)

You need to book a tour at the Tenement Museum...they are 1 or 1 1/2 hours.....there is also an excellent film to watch and a great book-gift store...

Day 5...Harlem and Greenwich Village are nowhere near each other...