We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

I am going crazy trying to find a suitable restaurant for our group of 5 next Saturday. We are eating at Basso56 (thanks to NYwhiz's recommendation) on Friday before a show. I'm now trying to find a restuarant for 7ish Saturday. Preferably offering fish and beef, nothing to upity as we have a 'plain' eater. I'd like to keep the price in the 20-30/pp for a dinner and would prefer to get out of the theater district, since we will be there Friday. When I search on $$ it appears the menu show much higher prices OR they are burger/sandwich places. Several on my list are Joe Allen(but in the theater district), Robert? (not feeling great about this choice for our group), and Guy's American Kitchen and Bar (afraid this is going to feel like a chain restaurant?) HELP...this is the last choice for our itinerary. I was hoping to be in Soho/Noho/Tribeca/West Village Saturday evening, but the restaurants all appear very expensive. Thanks in advance for your help!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,618 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

Are there any ethnic foods your "plain eater" does like (and that are OK with the rest of your group as well?)

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

Perhaps German or Chinese. Nothing too unusual like middle eastern or rich and saucy. We have Basso56 booked for Friday. I have Philip Marie booked on Sunday, but i'm not reading great reviews and am a little concerned.

I'd like to find something with a nice atmosphere with reasonable prices. We will be all over the city sight seeing during the day so we will want to relax. Our group consists of 2 couples in their 50's (celebrating July anniversaries) and my son who is interning in the city for the summer (my plain eater..a meat and potato kind of guy) :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

Sorry, I can't help you. But, I just wanted to make sure you read reviews for Guy's before you make any decision to go there

yelp.com/biz/guys-american-kitchen-and-bar-n…

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

Forgot to add....I was hoping to stroll the streets of Soho, West Village, Tribeca and stop for a drink while doing some casual shopping and having dinner. However, a lot of the restaruants in those areas are a bit pricey. We can always come and go from that area but that was my thought at the time.

I also considered Don't tell Mama but it doesn't quite fit what I was looking for either and it didn't get great reviews for the food.

Mentioned in this post
West Village
West Village
1,367 Reviews
New York City, NY
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

@elizzie4000 ...Thanks, I enjoy his show but Guy's doesnt sound like what we're looking for.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

I went to Opentable, put in party of 5, 7 pm next Saturday, sorting by location (soho, Tribeca, west village) and over a hundred choices popped up. You can do the legwork as to their suitability for your group.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,223 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

Look at Jane, Home and Good, all in the village for Sat. Try the Duplex and/or Marie's Crisis for deinks after dinner..both fun piano bars, better than Don't Tell Mama. For Sunday check Bistro Les Amis.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,806 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

Otto for Italian in lower 5th Ave? Montmarte in Chelsea? Tribeca is a mecca for wining and dining, see if either Odeon or Landmarc has availability, same with the Village. Mary's Fish Camp doesn't take reservations but if you can get there early and be the first in the line up, it's a great fish place with wonderful Lobster Rolls and other fresh catch.

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

Again Fantastic advice. NYwhiz you hit the nail on the head. Reservations made for Jane on Saturday! Thank you

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,397 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP~Need reservations for 5 next Saturday

I have been to Guy's & the food is merely OK. I wouldn't pass it up if you want to say you ate there as the food is not terrible but there's better food elsewhere.