We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

metrocard-amount to load

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Topic
metrocard-amount to load

good evening: myself and my travelling companion plan on purchasing a metrocard....can I purchase one card for both us and load a certain amount? I swipe it and hand it over to my companion, he swipes it? also, am I correct if we are using the subway 4 times each on day one, I have to load the card for 10.00 per person? thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: metrocard-amount to load

A pay as you go card can be used by up to 4 people. The break even point to determine whether you should buy a 7 day unlimited card is 13 trips/person. This should help you figure out how much to load.

http://metrocardmath.com/

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: metrocard-amount to load

There are two types of metrocard--the Pay-Per-Ride (aka regular) card is used just as you say. We do it just a little differently. DH carries the card; when we get to the subway, he swipes it and I go through, then he swipes it again and goes through. We find it just a little easier than having to hand over the card.

There is also a 7 day unlimited ride card that can only be used by one person, so you'd need two. The break even point is 13 rides, so if you think you'll take that many (or more), get that card.

In our last 4 day visit to NYC, we only used the subway 5 times, so bought the regular card.

If you each used the subway four times (that's a lot in one day), you'd need to load $20 for the two of you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: metrocard-amount to load

thanks , we are doing two walking tours, so have to get , to and from the starting point, so I believe 4 times on the subway should be right.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: metrocard-amount to load

Since you get a 5% bonus when you put more than $5 on a card, if all you need is four trips each, or a total of 8 trips, you need $20 of value on the card. You can get that with a purchase of $19.05.

However, a blank card, if you don't already have one, costs one dollar, so you'd actually need $20.05 for this purchase. Cars can be reused for a couple of years.

5. Re: metrocard-amount to load

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16