We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TKTS questions

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
TKTS questions

I am confused about getting Broadway tickets at the TKTS booth. Can you purchase tickets for all Broadway shows, or is it just certain shows each day? If I am set on seeing a particular show, should I take a chance with TKTS, or buy the tickets in advance and pay more than I would at the TKTS booth? The shows I am interested in are Phantom of the Opera and Rocky. And, are the tickets at the TKTS booth the less preferable seats (rear mezz, etc)., or do they have tickets in all categories?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TKTS questions

Tdf.org/tkts

Is their website which should explain some of what you ask. I've heard you can now buy tickets to any show (not necessarily discounted) there. The discounted shows depend on what's available on the day. Therre's a oard that lists what's on....but tha tcan change while you stand on line. I don't bother with the TKTS booth if the show(s) I want to see are available on discount with one of the websites like

Broadwaybox.com

Theatermania.com

Playbill.com

I'd rather pay a bit more, be able to select seats AND get the tickets in advance ofthe day I want to go. You can print a discount out and take it directly to the box office of that show and also get discounted seats. Both of the shows you want should be on one or more of those discount sites.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TKTS questions

It depends on what booth you're talking about. TKTS Times Square sells tickets for that day's performances only & you can only get matinee tickets on the day of the show up til whenever the matinees are & the evening shows after that. For the satellite booths, you can get both tickets for that evening's shows plus matinee tickets for the next day. That is for discounts & the only shows that are listed are those that the producers have released discounted tickets for their shows. In addition, you can buy full price tickets at any time. If you buy tickets for straight plays (as opposed to musical) or if you have bought a ticket for a show at TKTS in the last 7 days, you can go into special express lines. I believe full price tickets also use express lines. Note, some shows sell out months in advance (not the ones you mentioned) & so there are no tickets available.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you, there are 2 ways to get discounts that are not so restrictive. One is by using the 3 sites that nywhiz has given you above. (Props to nywhiz)

The other, if you want to get tickets in person, is to stop by NYC & Co on 7th Ave near 53rd next to the Chase Bank. Go to the desk & ask for their Broadway discounts flyer (which is sponsored by TheaterMania so they use those discounts.) You can take the flyer to the show's box office & get tickets on a much shorter line than TKTS & do so at any time during your stay. So if you go there the first thing, you'll have a day or more heads start on the folks at TKTS although TKTS could have tickets available for shows that are not on the flyer or shows whose allotment of those particular discount have run out. I haven't been at NYC & Co lately, but I am fairly certain both of the shows you mentioned will be on the flyer.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TKTS questions

Just agreeing with the above and especially these comments by our Whiz:

"I'd rather pay a bit more, be able to select seats AND get the tickets in advance ofthe day I want to go. You can print a discount out and take it directly to the box office of that show and also get discounted seats. Both of the shows you want should be on one or more of those discount sites"

All that I would add is that if you buy in advance over the web is that you should be sure to buy from the official ticket agency which is Telecharge for both shows, that Telecharge will take those discount codes whiz and cyblume are talking about, and that telecharge will also charge your around $9 service fees which can only be avoided if you wait until you get here and buy the tickets at the box office.

Phantom is ALWAYS discounted and I believe the same is true of Rocky

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TKTS questions

Thanks everyone, I think I will take the advice of NY whiz and get the tickets online. I don't want to take any chances of not getting the seats I want.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TKTS questions

Got Phantom tickets at TKTS last weekend for 50% off (Hated the show, but I'm not an opera fan). It was there every single day of our trip and the performance was not sold out so I would not anticipate you having any difficulty getting the seats on the same day.

For Rocky, Theatermania has orchestra seats discounted from $111-143 to $69-99. theatermania.com/broadway/…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TKTS questions

Don't get the comment about not being an opera fan!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TKTS questions

Re Phantom, as that show is ALWAYS discounted I don't think there will be a problem at TKTS either just getting seats. But last week is not a good week to judge it by because the week leading up to July 4 is always a slow week. . For example, there were discounts available for Kinky Boots (that I used, btw) up until July 4 but not good after that

Now, like I say, I am sure you will get TKTS tickets for Phantom when you're here but whether you will get the seats you want is another matter. Also, if you're a tourist, i don't know how long the lines are or whether you will want to break your day up to go stand in line. Some people enjoy the experience and I get that but it's something to think about

Also, Rocky is very likely to be discounted but the same issues obtain as for Phantom

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TKTS questions

Here's an article about why July 4 week was not a good indicator of what might be later on

…nytimes.com/2014/…

though it notes that Phantom actually did well

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TKTS questions

I really want to be clear about something, for shows like Phantom and Rocky, the issue is not whether it will be available at TKTS because they will be. The question for the tourist is whether they will have the seats you want on the day you want for this special vacation and whether it's worth it to you stand in line at TKTS to get them. If you are wandering around the theater district and decide to see what's on the boards, Phantom will be there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TKTS questions

Approximately how long could one expect to wait in line at the Times Sq TKTS booth?