We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Day Itinerary outline......thoughts pls :-)

East Yorks, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
5 Day Itinerary outline......thoughts pls :-)

Hi all,

In preparation for my family's trip across in September, 4th - 9th, I've been drawing up an outline of what we might do each day, trying to group things together for ease etc, and would love any feedback/suggestions or even criticism to help make things go smoothly ......

4th Sept: We dont arrive from the UK till 2.40pm, so imagine that by the time we get from JFK to the LES, it'l be 4.30/5pm, we'll perhaps just settle in, take a stroll and find somewhere to eat/drink locally, we'll be bushed i'm sure.

Then we have 4 full days, which i'm planning as follows, - in no particular order......

Day1.

911 Memorial & Museum - 3/4hrs ?

Statue Cruises to see Ellis & Liberty Isl. - possibly Pedestal too, Crown visits full :-(

Battery Bark too ?

Day2.

Grand Central Station (30 mins ?)

Times Square 1hr ?

Central Park - + Bikes...... 2/3hrs ?

Rockafella Centre + TOTR perhaps at Dusk......7pm.

- but perhaps we've got time for a lot more too that day ?

Day3. (- have applied for a Big Apple Greeter for this day hopefully......)

Lower East Side exploration - are the 'Free Tours by Foot Co' any good ?

Little Italy/ Chinatown.

Subway to Brooklyn - explore Dumbo & Brookly Park - great views ??

Walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge - again good 'Free !' Views of skyline.....

Day4. ?

& Day 5 - we have until perhaps 4pm before we fly home.....

Other things to pack in ?

Meatpacking District ?

The High Line ? - worth doing ? Says 3hrs , but only 1mile long ?

Financial District/ Wall St - is there much to actually see apart from lots of sharp suits !?

Harbour Cruise all the way round manhattan ?

Staten Island ? I've seen comments that unless you're going for a reason, just take the ferry there & back ?

Restaurants:

I'd imagine with busy days, by the time we've refreshed back at our digs, some of the nights we'll just stay locally in the Lower East Side, which seems to have a great choice of places to East & Drink ?

We wont be eating elaborately, - would just like to find good honest food at reasonable costs, perhaps the standard Pizza/Mexican/Steak/Pastrami & Beer kind of places, without ommitting the Classic US Burger somewhere along the way.....or 2 !

What have I missed out or am planning wrong ? :-)

Thx !

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Day Itinerary outline......thoughts pls :-)

Day 1......I would not consider doing the 9/11 Museum AND the SOL in 1 day. That;s just me. Getting an early appointment for the SOL is always recommended. So I would do that early on one of your days.

Day 2.....Times Square is much better to see at night. Many people say seeing Central park via bikes is not the ay to go as assess to specific places is limited. Walking is the better way to explore it.

(FYI...it's Rockefeller Center.)

Day 3....Yes....explore DUMBO/Brooklyn Heights/Brooklyn Bridge Park and the Brooklyn Promenade. Great views. Bring camera!

I think a visit to Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village is something that you should add.

Wall Street area is great to experience the NYC buzz during the week. You can also grab lunch from one of the many food vendors and sit down in a park and eat. That area is a nice walk up Broadway from the SOL ferry.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Day Itinerary outline......thoughts pls :-)

Day 1. If you start early you can do both SOL and 9/11 on the same day and squeeze the financial district in between. But start with SOL as early as available. After you arrive back from the ferry you cross Battery Park, walk up on Broadway into the financial district, see the charging bull, see the NYSE building, visit Trinity church, than walk to 9/11 memorial and museum and end your day there.

Day 2. Start in Central park and explore walking, not on bikes. See the bethesda fountain and belvedere castle maybe even the zoo. From there walk down on 5th av and explore Rockefeller center, st patricks cathedral, fao schwartz, and more. Do totr and after that walk down 5th av until grand central station. At night go to Times Sq, see the lights and explore the shops, visit ToysRUs store it is fun!

Day 3. No comments

Day 4. Why not a museum? Met and AMNH are worth a visit. Another suggestion is the Intrepid. Next to the intrepid is circle line cruises if you want a cruise ride, in which case I'd recommend the semi circle cruise, the full island gets boring around the north part and takes longer. The semi circle does the south part which is nicer and you get to ser Brooklyn bridge and SOL.

The day you depart you could visit Eataly or the Chelsea market in the morning.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 18:41
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Day Itinerary outline......thoughts pls :-)

(Some spelling errors in my day 2 post.)

East Yorks, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Day Itinerary outline......thoughts pls :-)

Thx for comments - appreciated.

Keep 'em coming if anyone else has tips !

:-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,957 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Day Itinerary outline......thoughts pls :-)

The High Line only takes about half an hour with no stopping but take your time, stop and smell the roses so to speak. Call into Chelsea Market (16th St stairs) and have a break with food or coffee.

Walk down Fifth Avenue from Central Park to Grand Central Terminal on Day 2. Lots of beautiful high-end stores.

I did the Free Tours by Foot tour of the LES and thought it was good. You stop at about half a dozen places (mainly traditional Jewish foods plus donuts and candy) where you can buy food if you want (it's up to you) and you get a good bit of history about the area too. You pay for any food you buy and also tip the guide at the end.

6. Re: 5 Day Itinerary outline......thoughts pls :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 01:17