We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for First timers to NYC

Pound, Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for First timers to NYC

Hello! I am looking for some help with my first trip to NYC. We are a family of 4 (kids are boy 13 & girl 8). We are coming to celebrate my son's 13th birthday.

We will arrive to Penn Station on Thursday Sept 4th at 3:30 pm. We are staying at Home2Suites by Hilton in Long Island City. We will be going to the Yankees 7 pm game vs Boston that night.

On Friday, we have tickets to see Aladdin on Broadway at 8pm. On Sunday (my son's bday), we have Yankees tickets at 1 pm. We depart on Monday morning at 5:30 am.

I have no clue as to how to plan the other things we want to see/do. I'm not sure what all we can fit in as well. Listed are some of the things we really want to do: Carlo's Bakery, Statue of Liberty, 9/11, Top of the Rock/NBC and Times Square.

Please help me figure out an itinerary for our trip. Please also include any other helpful info or must see sights we could fit in. Anything special to do on a teenagers actual birthday? Best advice for games at Yankee Stadium?

Thanks for your time and input!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for First timers to NYC

**Best advice for games at Yankee Stadium?**

Try to get to the Stadium at appr 5:30....especially if this is your first time.

You will have time to look around, take pics inside and out and get something to eat and drink. Just try to be in your seats by 6:45-ish.

Take the subway there and back.

Wow..I just noticed that you are going to 2 Yankee games. For the birthday boy..maybe look into a message on the scoreboard:

…mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/stadium_messages.jsp

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,346 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for First timers to NYC

For your arrival day, you'll want to head straight to your hotel to check in and dump your bags. Then you may want to head back into midtown, explore a bit, then continue on to Yankee Stadium. You may be able to squeeze in TOTR here. Another good option would be exploring Grand Central Terminal.

If you want to actually go to the Statue of Liberty, the only option you have is Friday. Book tickets with pedestal access at StatueCruises.com Early morning is best as lines tend to get longer as the day progresses. This also includes Ellis Island. Allow a good 3-4 hours.

911 memorial is nearby and you could go after the SOL. That's assuming you want to just see the memorial and not go to the new 911 memorial museum (not really appropriate for children)

You can see Times Square on your theater night (both before and after the show).

TOTR could also work for Sunday morning, before the game. Note that NBC studio tours are closed this year (renovations). They haven't stated when they are reopening. http://www.nbcstudiotour.com/

Carlo's bakery is in New Jersey and you don't have a lot of time as it is. I'd suggest dropping that.

Missing from your itinerary: Central Park, museums, exploring interesting neighborhoods on foot.

Hope that gives you a start. Read some of the existing forum discussions and you'll see lots of sample itineraries in progress.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Pound, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for First timers to NYC

Thank you for your responses. Is the SoL not available on Saturday? We aren't interested in crown tickets. My daughter is too short. Also I forgot to ask about weather in the evenings. How cool will it get? We will be out late at least 2 evenings.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for First timers to NYC

The evenings in early September are likely to be warm and balmy...if anything, most probably a light sweater will do. That said, watch weather.com for the forecasts. We cannot imagine that the SOL would be unavailable on any day in September (barring a hurricane) and for first hand information, see:

www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/hours.htm

CH

Edited: 10 July 2014, 00:15
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for First timers to NYC

Instead of Carlo's Bakery in Jersey, stop in at the Cake Boss Cafe on 8th & 42nd on Friday. It's run by the same Velastro family, the baked goods are exactly the same as you'd get in Jersey & there's communal seating in the place.

You need to check the hours of operation & the number ticket machine is at the top of the stairs before you go down to the Cafe itself. Don't be surprised at the quality of the baked goods. They're OK but not nearly as good as advertised to many.

http://cakebosscafe.com/about/

6. Re: Itinerary for First timers to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:15