We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carmel Limos should we cancel

plymouth england
Level Contributor
197 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
carmel Limos should we cancel

looking for advise we are a family of 5 landing in JFK Midday on a Monday , we have provisionally booked a carmel pick up looking up their reviews and their service is not looking good, should we cancel and rebook with someone else or will their be suvs in the taxi line thanks for any info

Mentioned in this post
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

There will be minivan taxis that can take 5. In my experience, they are quite common at the airport taxi lines. You should not have trouble finding one.

Last year there was a big flurry of negative comments about Dial 7, then that calmed down and everyone loves them again. This year, it seems to be Carmel's turn.

I would not be overly alarmed about it. I think such things can happen with any service (including taxis). You just don't hear about the many good experiences the way you hear about the bad ones, so it seems like there is a huge risk of poor service when it really may be only a very small risk.

plymouth england
Level Contributor
197 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

thanks for the quick update.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

I used Carmel this Sunday to drop someone at JFK. It was fine. I had no issues with it.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

I agree with Christine - I've used both Carmel and Dial 7 for 15+ years, and I think they are completely on par with one another. Occasionally a negative experience has occurred, but it's been equal with both companies.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

I used Dial 7 for a couple of years and never had any problems but I switched last year to Carmel because they offer frequent flyer miles for a couple of airlines, I pick Jet Blue and it gives you points and a badge, and never had any problems with them. On top of it, you can print coupons. I used them last Friday from JFK to Manhattan and it cost me 40$, after the coupon. Since we took the 59th street bridge, no toll, it cost m 40$ + tip. This is very cheap for JFK. Same thing when I went from my hotel to LGA when I flew back home yesterday, 34$ and a 3$ rebate. I am careful in the sense that I pick cash as the option for payment. If they don't show up, I jump in a cab. They always showed up on time and were very professional and good drivers too. I wouldn't worry...

Mentioned in this post
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
plymouth england
Level Contributor
197 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

thanks all for the replies maybe we will keep the reservation if they do not show as planned we will hopefully jump to the taxi line.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

Hey welshsue56:-) Agree with the good folks here;-) Have used Dial7 a couple of times and pretty exclusively Carmel for decades now.. both have been around for eons! Just be aware that you have to call them once you are done with formalities and ready to go.. they have courtesy phones as well at the airport.. they'll tell you where outside to meet them.. it won't be far.. and they usually turn up pretty quickly with 10 min or so;-) Have fun.. and EnJOY!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

I find waiting for a limo at the airport is more of a pain than just getting a yellow cab. Calling them and finding the pick up point was just another thing to do, when just walking into the cab line and getting a cab was just less hassle.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

..I agree bogwoppit;-) I usually use a car service to get to the airport.. and a taxi back home! Have on occasion seen some horrendous lines waiting for a cab.. rare as it is.. nonetheless, called Carmel on the spot and had a car within 10 min.. sure beats waiting an hour+ on that cab line that particular day! Keep enjoyin' all!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: carmel Limos should we cancel

"..I agree bogwoppit;-) I usually use a car service to get to the airport.. and a taxi back home!"

+1