We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

Any other suggestions for things to do while in New York City?

I Have the following things as a starting guide:

Jersey Boys

Kinky Boots

Radio City Christmas show

Baseball/Basketball game

Head to the Bryant park holiday markets

ice skating in central park

The Slipper room Burlesque show?

Maybe a comedy club?

See the holiday windows.

Not exactly sure about where we will eat lunch Christmas day. Any ideas on that would be much appreciated. Budget not an issue.

Not exactly sure about New years eve either. Ciprianis was an idea.

We are staying at the Westhouse Hotel in Midtown and Trump Soho.

Any suggestions advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Kate

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Boys
Jersey Boys
7,006 Reviews
New York City, NY
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

Ciprianis for new years is not a bad idea actually. Although, make sure you pick Ciprianis at 42nd and not the one downtown.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

Our favorite December in NYC “Christmas-window” stroll (around 3 hours walking) goes from Central Park along Fifth Avenue to around 48th Street viewing the lake and bridge in the Park (59th Street near 5th Avenue), the store windows at Bergdorf’s (between 58th & 59th Streets) and SAKS (49th Street), a stop in at St Thomas’ (53rd Street) and St Patrick’s (51st Street) to hear the bells and view the altars, watch the skaters at Rockefeller Center (between 49th & 50th Streets) and marvel at the Tree and then walk to Bryant Park behind the Library at 42st Street to shop at the Holiday Market.

It may be a little chilly (dress warmly in layers), but it can be a delightful afternoon!

CH

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

How many days are you there?

Have you seen this post about things to do over the holiday period:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976…

You can get discount tickets for Jersey Boys at Broadwaybox.com (great show). You can sign up for email notifications for the Radio City Christmas show ....

It's basketball season - check the Knicks website for dates they are playing at Madison Square Gardens, try StubHub for tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Boys
Jersey Boys
7,006 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

Loads of suggestions! You've identified some shows, but there are a world of other things to do and see and do in NYC. What are your interests? Take a look at the Top Questions section for some ideas. Be sure to spend some time exploring interesting neighborhoods on foot.

No baseball in winter, but basketball may be a possibility.

The main Christmas meal in the U.S. is dinner. Even if it's a big meal eaten during the late afternoon, we would probably still call it Christmas dinner, not lunch. (A few places may also have Christmas brunch earlier in the day).

You will have a bunch of wonderful choices. Closer to the time, restaurants will start publishing their menus and start taking reservations. It's too early now. You can find some discussions from last year if you want to fantasize about what might be available this year :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

Great I hadn't heard to much feedback on Ciprianis on new years eve just saw it on one of the new York event sites thought It looked like a nice place and it has an open bar. (as I think most places do on new years eve.

The Christmas Window Stroll sounds like a great idea to see a lot of places on foot sometimes you miss things if you are catching cans to specific places and then catch a cab back again. This sounds great! Ty CasaHoffa

I will check out that website for tickets to jersey boys and the knicks tickets. I was sure if it was basketball or baseball season so we will be sure to try and get tickets to a basketball game! Are they expensive? We are In NY 10 days total.

Would love to head to Brooklyn and explore not really sure what the best thing to do in Brooklyn is though don't want to just catch a cab there and not know what to do. We will check out the Brooklyn Bridge and have a walk over it.

I will keep an eye out for the restaurants releasing the menus so I don't miss out. As I have read on other threads the traditional Christmas meal is not roast with veggies and Yorkshire puddings haha hopefully we can find some kind of roast dinner somewhere if not then it will be something at one of the nice restaurants or Chinese ;)

is catching a taxi difficult over Christmas in New York? I heard when it rains its impossible to catch a cab why is this? and are there many cabs on New years eve to head home in?

Thanks so much for the responses :)

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,574 Reviews
New York City, NY
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
New York
New York
New York
United States
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

There is no reason for you to be using cabs while in NY. Do like most of us do and ride the subways. It is easy, fast and inexpensive. Cabs are expensive and they get stuck in traffic.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

lol thanks but that didn't answer my question regarding cabs:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

Taxi are very easily available during Christmas. For NYE, you can try, It is a hit or a miss. I always walk or use the Subway.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 04:04
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

great thanks :)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,481 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary New York Christmas New Years 2014 Suggestions

You can also get discounts by signing up for the free discount clubs at TheaterMania & Playbill. You'll get lots of discount offers but you'll be among the 1st to see them. Please note, discounts don't usually show up until a month or so before the performance but since the theater season starts in September, you might get a discount to a new show before that time frame.