We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in NYC...

Sydney
2 posts
Save Topic
Winter in NYC...

Hey guys,

I'm from Australia where winter is still warm when out in the sun. I am planning a trip to New York over NYE because I have never seen snow, experienced a "white" Christmas or been overseas to see other NYE celebrations. I've also heard winter can be beautiful in New York City. I've been to NY in summer and loved every second of it - do you think I will enjoy it in Winter too? I don't really like the cold - but to be honest, I've never really experienced it. I just hope I didn't make a mistake?

Help please :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in NYC...

Tina, I don't think anyone can tell whether YOU would enjoy Winter in NYC. I know I probably wouldn't as I don't like cold weather at all ( even in Sydney which is pretty mild on a world scale). However lots of people find it a magical experience and you need to dress appropriately. You have already been twice so maybe you can plan more indoor things this time. Anyway others will give you their opinions and then you can make up your own mind.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in NYC...

It will be MUCH colder than what Sydney is right now but if you're dressed appropriately you'll be warm and you'll be fine. Yes, it's a great time to be in NYC, the Christmas things will still be up but the full-on Christmas vibe won't be, if you'll be there after December 25th.

Note that it might not be "white" at all. It's not guaranteed that it will snow in December but last year it was a very white December from mid-month onwards. You just never know.

I'd go just to see NYC in winter, it's a great opportunity.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in NYC...

We've been over the Christmas - New Year period 3 times in the last 6 years, and my first trip was over Christmas - New Year in 1986-7.

It's MAGICAL.

Have a look at this wonderful thread about what to do:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976…

Just need to rug up and have the appropriate footwear. Layers are good as it's overheated in most buildings - museums, cafes/restaurants, theatres etc.

Take boots that allow you to put lambswool liners in for when you're out and about for a long time. Scarf, hat and gloves - including a pair of fingerless ones to keep on when you take off the first pair to take photos/read a map etc etc.

A long puffy coat is useful over the sort of clothes you'd likely wear in winter in Sydney. Something you'll probably never wear in Sydney and I barely wear in Melbourne. I have this one: www.vigilante.com.au/product-details.php… It was $200 at Anaconda last year, but I can't see it online just now.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in NYC...

No one can tell you how the weather will make you feel. I lived in Melbourne for 34 years and NYC was way colder than our winters but we went in feb this year when every day was minus degrees and had the best time. It's all about preparing accordingly.

My three pieces for advice for staying warm are:

1) layers. It gets hot in the stores and at the attractions and you'll want take take stuff off.

2) get a good waterproof gortex coat. It keeps the rain and wind out and the heat in. We saw lots of people in those big puffy coats but they'd take up half your suitcase. A good waterproof jacket rolls up into nothing.

3) take Jenny R's advice about fingerless gloves under normal gloves. This idea is brillant, especially if you like taking lots of photos.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter in NYC...

PS: we loved it in winter so much we are going back in the writer for our next trip

6. Re: Winter in NYC...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 11:35
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,144 posts
5,402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter in NYC...

We are also big fans of being in the city during December. Will be back for Xmas this year and greatly looking forward to it. Yes, it can be quite cold, just bundle up and duck into a shop or museum if its too cold, the buildings are quite warm and you'll be ready to continue your sightseeing before you know it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter in NYC...

I also love the season between Thanksgiving and Christmas in NYC - the decorations and the vibe are wonderful!

After Christmas Day, the decorations are still up but the vibe deflates, IMO. And the New Year in NYC is nothing special - the big thing in this city is the ball drop in Times Square, of course, but I urge you to read up on the logistics of that, because it's an hours-long wait in the cold with no toilet and limited access to food and drink.

Last winter was particularly harsh, but most winters are not quite so cold...or snowy. The snow we do get is most often in January and February. So the odds are against you for a white Christmas in NYC, I'm afraid.

One suggestion would be to come to NYC in the days just before Christmas - when it's so magical and energetic - and then go up to Boston for the New Year. NYC hotel rates are actually relatively low on the week before and days just after Christmas. The are sky-high in the first half of Decrmber, and they spike again for New Year's Eve.

No guarantees, but Boston is further north, so maybe a better chance of snow? (You should ask on that forum). Boston is definitely less expensive over the New Year, and I believe they have a nice First Night celebration there. (Again, ask the locals).

If you really want snow, maybe even go up to Portland, Maine for a night or two. Portland is lovely and, like Boston, it can easily be reached by train. One of our forum posters, Ziggy, is a big fan of Portland. :) Again, check in with locals there before making a final decision.

Happy planning!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter in NYC...

Bottom line - no guarantee of snow in NYC on NYE or that time period.

Sorry, that's just the way it is - the suggestion to travel north is worth a look.

Poppa

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter in NYC...

Christmas in NYC is absolutely magical, as others have said. Possibly my best ever Christmas was spent in NYC - so I'd really recommend a visit.

No guarantee of snow though like the others said. The year I went there was some flurries on of the evenings, but they melted as soon as they hit ground.

I'm sure it'll seem really cold in comparison to where you are (for me who lives in an even more arctic climate than NYC, it wasn't a big deal and I already had proper winter clothes. I bet summer heat would affect me more loL).