We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second time in NYC

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Second time in NYC

I will be returning to the lovely city of NYC for about two weeks, in late December/ early January. I will be solo for the first week, and then have a friend joining me. I have already a lot of the initial touristy things such as Brooklyn Bridge, Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, Musuem of Natural History, Statue of Liberty, NYC Public Library, Times Square etc. I would love some tips and suggestions on some lesser known things to do, things that allow you to really feel the heart of NYC.

I would also like to return to the Top of the Rock, at sunset or evening (is that time worth it), and catch the Staten Island ferry.

I saw Matilda last time, what is good to see next? I am keen to see Lion King.

Thanks in advance.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Second time in NYC

Also what are some good day trips to take that time of year?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,619 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second time in NYC

Get your Lion King tickets now. That show never goes on sale because of the way they price their tickets.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second time in NYC

Winter isn't the best time for day trips. You might have a better time just staying in the city.

Which neighborhoods have you explored in depth during your prior trips? You may want to make that your focus for this time.

Have you been to the Met? MoMA? The Frick? Even if you've been to the Met, you haven't seen all of it, so keep it in mind (especially for bad weather days).

The Tenement Museum is very popular. You book a particular tour ahead of time.

How about a food tour? Or some other type of walking tour?

Ice skating!

The 911 Memorial Museum is newly opened. Read about it to decide if that's something you want to do.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second time in NYC

We do not know if your first trip to NYC was during Christmas time. If not, how about, a "window" stroll? Our favorite December in NYC “Christmas-window” stroll (around 3 hours walking) goes from Central Park along Fifth Avenue to around 48th Street viewing the lake and bridge in the Park (59th Street near 5th Avenue), the store windows at Bergdorf’s (between 58th & 59th Streets) and SAKS (49th Street), a stop in at St Thomas’ (53rd Street) and St Patrick’s (51st Street) to hear the bells and view the altars, watch the skaters at Rockefeller Center (between 49th & 50th Streets) and marvel at the Tree and then walk to Bryant Park behind the Library at 42st Street to shop at the Holiday Market.

It may be a little chilly (dress warmly in layers), but it can be a delightful afternoon!

Note: The window dressings are usually quickly removed during the first week of January.

CH

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second time in NYC

Some museums, such as the Met, have major temporary exhibits that you will not have seen previously. Perhaps some might interest you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,639 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second time in NYC

Good day trips at that time of year.....well it'll be very cold but taking the train up the Hudson Valley is very scenic and you'll be on the warm train most of the way. The Metro-North train leaves from GCT which is a great experience in itself. Tarrytown is cute or go all the way to Poughkeepsie (2 hours each way).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Second time in NYC

I agree with Aynat about a trip up the Hudson River. The views are spectacular. We went on a day in early January 2013. It was about 5 degrees Celcius and beautiful blue skies. So if you can be flexible in your schedule, and choose a lovely day like that, I'd highly recommend it.

I thought the SI ferry was great - the view of the SoL was much closer than I expected and the views on the way back of downtown are wonderful. Consider spending some time on SI itself. Get back to us if you're interested in that.

Here's the link to Frangipani's great post about the Christmas - New Year period:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976…

* Another lovely day we had was a trip up on the M4 bus from midtown to Fort Tyron Park (the northern tip of Manhattan Island). The Cloisters Museum is there (part of the Met Museum and you can buy a ticket for one and go to the other on that ticket if you go within a week). The view from the Park is great - the George Washington Bridge - across to Queens and the Bronx; and totally different topography to that of midtown Manhattan on the grid. There's a lovely cafe there too. Then we caught the A train down to Morningside Heights for a lovely time there - St John the Divine, and a walk from there through Columbia University to Grant's Tomb and Riverside Park. We went to the Hungarian Pastry shop for lunch - yum! Litsa and others gave many suggestions for eating around that area. From there we went on the amazing M5 bus down Riverside Drive to the Upper West Side - another walk around there and supplies from Zabars....and then back on the bus to the top of Midtown. A great day.

* We also took the B62 bus from Queen's Plaza right along its route through Brooklyn (via Greenpoint and Williamsburg) to 'midtown' Brooklyn...from there a walk down Atlantic Avenue to Brooklyn Heights, down to the Promenades to see the views across to Manhattan, and the beautiful Jane's Carousel. And then a walk over the Bridge to Manhattan - stay out of the bike lane. Another great day.

You could go to Coney Island and walk the Boardwalk to Brighton Beach. Great eating there.... eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

Go on a food trawl with Ziggy through Hell's Kitchen ...

+1 for spending time at the Tenement Museum - do book a tour in advance and allocate another ~ hour for the documentary (30 minutes) and the gift/book store. Add a visit to the beautiful Eldridge Street Synagogue - fairly nearby. They also do tours - of the Synagogue and of the area (they have a 'pickle man' tour - wish I'd known that one - see the film 'Crossing Delancey')

Have a great time.

8. Re: Second time in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:17