We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

francofm
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

We just returned from 10 days in NYC and I want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. All your postings were incredibly helpful and appreciated. In gratitude I will add a few of my own thoughts/tips, in no particular order.

NYC is so welcoming, friendly, easy to navigate and might I even suggest clean! We always felt safe even wandering the streets of Midtown after midnight

We loved staying in Midtown; easy to get wherever you need to go

We used the subway (so easy to navigate; don’t be afraid) and taxis. There were 4 of us and lots of times it made more sense and was cheaper to take a taxi

I know a lot of people are in to big breakfasts but we opted to buy breakfasts to take out and eat each morning at Bryant Park under the trees. We loved the atmosphere and there are plenty of tables and chairs. Also plenty of places to pick up food right along the park. The public bathroom at Bryant Park is not to be missed.

I’d say not to buy timed tickets anywhere you want a view. Weather changes rapidly. Make sure to take an umbrella. Also know that as quickly as it can rain, it can also clear.

Two bars with views worth visiting: The Skylark @ 200 W 39th St., which has a glass enclosure. Better yet with amazing 360 degree views is The Press Lounge at the Ink 48 Hotel, 653 11th Ave. (open air so not for rain or terribly humid days).

Times Square is crazy and fun. Especially late at night! Wander around

Take time to visit the museums. They are huge and you can’t enjoy them rushing through them

Luke’s Lobster at Chelsea Market is awesome!! Not just for Lobster Rolls...it’s also a visual delight. We drooled looking at all the options. In general there are a lot of amazing places to eat; many more than the touristy ones frequently mentioned on tripadvisor. Check out Yelp too.

In general there are so many wonderful places to wander around and to eat. Chinatown, East and West Village. Don’t be shy about trying new foods.

Little Italy doesn’t really exist anymore

If the 9/11 Museum seems like it would be too much, The Tribute Center is a great alternative.

If possible don’t stick to a strict itinerary. Be flexible. Explore. Don’t try and run from A) to B). Take time to enjoy wherever you are. And if you can’t fit in all you’d hoped to you can always return. Once you visit you will want to go back.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

So awesome that you had a good time. Where are you coming from francofm and was this your first time ?

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

I used to describe Little Italy as a section of Chinatown with a few Italian restaurants. With gentrification, even Chinatown is now under pressure from development.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

Where did you stay?

I think it might be the Lobster Place in Chelsea Market. Either way, the lobster is delicious!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

I think if you wanna see the real Chinatown, then goto Flushing.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

Aynat, i think he is referring to the same Lobster place. I don't think there is Luke's lobster in CM.

francofm
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

We have stopped in NYC ( from SF Bay Area) to spend a night or two visiting relatives on our way abroad but this is our first time staying and visiting the city. And yes. I did mean The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market….confused it with Luke's at the Plaza food court. Both yummy.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 00:38
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

Yes, idw, I thought so. And francofm confirmed it. Thanks for reporting on your trip.

8. Re: 10 Days in NYC. Thanks and Thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:15