We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year New York additional advice ?

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New Year New York additional advice ?

Hi all,

I wondered if you might be able to help me. I have booked a surprise trip to New York for me and my partner for new year and I just wanted some advice regarding NYE!

I've spent a lot of time looking at the time square options which i had originally intended to do. (Not being in a pen but paying to go somewhere all in).

From what I can tell (but please correct me if I'm wrong!) there are very few places you can actually see the ball drop and those where you can seem to be pretty extortionate prices (I.e bubba gump). I'm not after something cheap but I get the impression people generally wouldn't recommend.

So I was considering maybe trying to find somewhere else nice all-in within close proximity to Central Park so we can go somewhere then walk to CP to watch the fireworks? Only thing is I'd quite like to carry on afterwards and I anticipate that might be a problem?

Money isn't a massive issue ( I just think upwards of $450 or whatever it is for BG is excessive).

Any ideas would be really welcome!

Oh should probably mention - I have muscular dystrophy and whilst I'm still mobile I do struggle to walk a long way or stand up for a long period!

Thanks in advance :)

Nicola (UK)

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,340 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year New York additional advice ?

Actually, I think most of is would say that the main parties (Bubba Gump, Brooklyn Diner) get excellent reviews, so it's really just a question of whether you're willing to pay the going rate. Look into the Brooklyn Diner, I believe they're still cheaper than Bubba Gump.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Diner
Brooklyn Diner
2,469 Reviews
New York City, NY
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year New York additional advice ?

The weather for NYE is not always so nice. Snow usually comes not so early in the winter, but it can be cold. You are wise to plan some indoor event with optional outdoor activities. If you wish to see the ball, visit Times Square in the morning and it will likely be on display, though perhaps not yet raised to the top of the pole. I believe they have it turned on all day and it goes through a hypnotic pattern of light changes. Watching the event on TV is perhaps more fun if you recognize the area.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,139 Reviews
New York City, NY
3. Re: New Year New York additional advice ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:15