We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from New York to Washington DC

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train from New York to Washington DC

I am travelling from New York to Washington on the 27th of December. I am thinking a train is the easiest option. We will have luggage about 20kgs or less.

Does anyone know how strict the luggage size is with amtrak?

Also do you think it will be the best option?

How long before should I book my ticket. I arrive in NY on the 21st. Should I just organise my travel once I am in the city and can talk to the locals or would the train tickets be sold out?

Thank-you to everyone.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

You need to buy your tickets ahead of time to get the best rate. If you can carry your luggage onto the train, it will be fine.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

They probably won't be sold out but will cost about $120 each one way verses $49 if you book now. I have booked already for the day before.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

Don't bother with the much more expensive, but only slightly faster, Acela trains. Regular Northeast Regional trains are fine. You can buy your tickets now and print them out online.

NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

As others said buy Amtrak ASAP to get the cheapest rates with the best availability. Luggage will not be an issue. You don't "check" the luggage on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor Line. You just bring it on the train. They don't weigh it. You can just put it on top of the luggage rack.

If you're looking for cheaper alternatives and you aren't pressed for time and won't be leaving NY and/or arriving in DC during rush hour you can look into MegaBus / BoltBus / Greyhound Express. They offer discount non-stop express bus service from NY to DC. I believe they post bus schedules about 2 months out so it would be way too early to book now but you could do it as it gets closer. The rates vary from about $1 - $40. If you can get it for under $20 and aren't pressed for time (as the bus takes about 4.5 hours w/o traffic) it's not a bad alternative. You can bring 1 large bag per person on the bus. Amtrak would for sure be a much more enjoyable ride though.

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

Cheers

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

Thank-you so much! This post has helped me alot - I was a little concerned with our baggage but we would only have one suitcase each. You have put my mind at ease. I will book soon.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

If you have heavy bags then you may use the red cap service

http://www.amtrak.com/baggage-services

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,331 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

Also, as well as the overhead lockers, there are large areas at the ends of each carriage to leave luggage. I second the NE Regional.

9. Re: Train from New York to Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:16