We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Day

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Day

Only just booking my flights this weekend arriving on the 20th Dec. We were thinking of returning home on the evening of the 1st jan as the flights were slightly cheaper than on the 2nd. We don't want to go to Times Square for NYE just wanted a nice meal with a few drinks in a bar and maybe CP for the fireworks.i was just wondering is anything special happening on the 1st that would be worth staying around for? Our flight wld leave JFK around 5.30pm on the 1st. I know it's a broad question and a personal choice but any feed back wld be great. Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Day

My first visit to NYC involved staying over New Year but I have zilch interest in New Year's Eve hoopla and it is the one night of the year I DON'T go out. I got up really early on New Year's morning and headed to Central Park and it is one of my most favourite memories of my many trips (and growing) to New York. The park was dusted in snow and it was just so beautiful and peaceful walking through there with like minded others who were out greeting the morning and New Year. I had U2's New Year's Day playing on my iPod "All is quiet on New Year's Day, A world in white gets underway"….

I started at The Dakota and headed over to Strawberry Fields to sit quietly and think about "another year over and a new one just begun". So, my recommendation is to do something like that and enjoy a morning in Central Park exclusively with other early risers while so many others are sleeping in. Unforgettable experience- though maybe not what you're looking for. Congrats on booking your trip and happy planning.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 03:08
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Day

Thanks PedroPerth that sounds like a really nice morning. Booked my flights decided to leave on the 2nd Jan. Really looking forward to it.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Day

Have you looked at hotel prices? You'll find they jump way up on New Years Eve.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Day

I do not think there is anything much doing on Jan. 2nd following the exhaustion of New Years Eve. If you intend to visit the Met Museum, be aware that it is packed between Christmas and New Years. I am a member there, but avoid it that week.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Day

thanks Christnp2 i have two hotels on a rate i can cancel. Prices have jumped but am willing to pay as it is one more thing off my list to do. I keep an eye on deals so if anything better comes along i will book that and cancel the others.

Fox11354 it will be nice to see NY city on a sleepy Jan 1st. My flight leaves early on the 2nd so it will be nice to chill on the 1st before i head back. Met Museum is on my list to do i will just have to brave the crowd and hope for the best. Maybe if i do it first thing in the morning it may not be so bad.

14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Day

I. Am flying out on jan 1st and very much looking forward to this!!!!!!

7. Re: New Year's Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:16