We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

South Florida...
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

I am from Miami and I am trying to budget for an upcoming weekend in New York. Are the restaurants typically more expensive? I always hear about how expensive it is there but Miami is also pricey.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

IN NYC it varies...from the cheapest to the most expensive. What is your budget ? This will help a lot.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

It depends on what kind of places you're talking about. Ethnic restaurants can be relatively inexpensive. The issue here is drinks are much more expensive. I often figure that drinks, tax and tip will double a food bill. Tere are plenty of happy hour deals if you go that route.

Drinkdeal.com

Menupages.com

has menus with prices for most restaurants. Avoid national chains like TGIF, Applebees etc. Those are more expensive and not very good here.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

Thanks for the links. I will be traveling with my kids (16 & 20) so I won't be drinking much alcohol... I haven't really figured out an amount yet - I usually share my meal with my daughter, since we are both watching our calorie intakes. I would like to keep it at or less than $100 per day for the 3 of us.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

Can be done but maybe not watching calories and not eating on sit down restaurants. Uing street carts, take out and Ethnic food, can be done. Pizza very inexpensve and tasty but not slimming. If you've got a fridge in your hotel room, you can do breakfast in..yogurt, cereal...theree are street carts selling fruit that's good. Lots of cheap eats lists including a feature on menupages.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

$100 for 3 per day is stretching it a bit even with cheap takeout and street food. Whiz's suggestions are good. Also look into the Halal Guys street carts. They have a big plateful of chicken or lamb over rice for $6.00.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
400 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

We just returned and managed to keep our food costs down. Does your hotel have a mini frig? If so, eat breakfast in the room. We stocked up on breakfast bars, yogurt, fruit and cereal for all breakfasts (and brough paper plates and plastic spoons with us). We ate at food carts several times for lunch (again, saving time and money). Avoid restaurants in the Time Square area, especially chains. Not sure where your hotel is located but we walked down 9th Ave (Hell's Kitchen), read the menus and choose a place to eat that way (tons of great places to eat). The prices were half of what we saw just a few blocks away and all of the food we had was great. For example, we passed Brooklyn Diner and read the menu which was $22 for a burger. We headed to Island Burger and Shakes on 9th Ave. and paid half that (great burgers and grilled asparagus). We bought pizza by the slice on 9th Ave, which was just a few dollars and very good. Also, we ate at a few convenience stores with small counter delis, which were all fine. We stocked up on chocolate chip bread sticks from Amy's Bakery (again, on 9th Ave) at $1.95 each for breakfast and snacks (there are addictive!) We also ate twice at diners, one was Park Place diner at Wellington hotel and the portions were huge so two people could share. Another was Cosmic Diner which was good with decent prices.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 02:11
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

there are lots of corner delis with hot and cold counters, for self-select food. price and quality vary, check out a few. we liked 'mercy market' [there are several branches]. very large coffee $2, hot or cold buffet $8.49 per pound. there was a better selection of nicely cooked vegetables than we found in any of the restaurants we used!

8. Re: Trying to budget for meals - comparison to Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:17