We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brunch with a view? 230 5th or somewhere else?

London, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Brunch with a view? 230 5th or somewhere else?

I would like to find a good place for Sunday brunch when we're in New York in late August. Ideally somewhere outdoors with a view and a set price menu. We are staying in Midtown East but don't mind a bit of subway/bus travel. There are a lot of posts on here that I've read but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

I had been looking at 230 Fifth but a lot of the reviews mention poor and rude service. Has anyone been and could share their opinion, please? Or anywhere else you have liked?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brunch with a view? 230 5th or somewhere else?

No, no, no. We do not think you will get a Brunch there, unless you are waking-up at 4 PM or later.

That said, for brunch with a VIEW of some very pretty waiters/waitresses we can recommend the Elephant & Castle restaurant in the Village on Greenwich Avenue (just east of 7th Avenue). We have been eating there for many many many years as it is a neighborhood "institution" and for more information, please see:

http://www.elephantandcastle.com

CH

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brunch with a view? 230 5th or somewhere else?

Hi Clare, can you tell us what DOESN'T appeal so far from what you've read so we don't waste your time recommending them.

If you want to visit the Met Museum, you could consider going there on a Sunday and go to the Met Member's Dining Room. They serve brunch there on the weekend days. It's on the 4th Floor and has lovely views across Central Park - do ask for a table BY the window or 2nd row back.....

metmuseum.org/visit/…members-dining-room

One of you will have to sign up to be a Member; they have an option for people coming from OS - from memory it costs about $60 which is a little more than twice the suggested donation cost of visiting once. But if you're a big fan of the Met you could visit twice and almost 'break even' and you have lots of other benefits too - including the Member's Dining Room.

(We had brunch on my 50th birthday there - contributed to a very memorable day).

An alternative is to go to the Petrie Court Cafe in the Met. It doesn't do 'brunch' but may be suitable. You don't need to be a Member to go there (but you do need to pay to enter the Museum). They don't take bookings, but I've found if you arrive by noon you don't have to wait. The view is across Central Park from the Ground Level. We love it. metmuseum.org/visit/…all-day-menu. (It's not the American Wing Cafe - that's on the same level, has pretty much the same view, good coffee, cafeteria style and so quite different in vibe).

Edited: 12 July 2014, 01:55
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brunch with a view? 230 5th or somewhere else?

Yes, we agree with this excellent suggestion. For brunch, lunch or even dinner also in Central Park we can highly recommend the Met Museum. We often do, and have never been disappointed. We are Members. For more information, see:

metmuseum.org/visit/…dining-at-the-museum

CH

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brunch with a view? 230 5th or somewhere else?

Outside in August might be too hot. The rooftop at Kimberly hotel in midtown east serves brunch. I think they have both inside and outside tables.

Robert restaurant in the Museum of Art & Design has great indoor views of Central Park.

Asiate in the Mandarin Oriental also has great views and nice brunch if pricey.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brunch with a view? 230 5th or somewhere else?

Check this out for some ideas

thrillist.com/drink/new-york/rooftop-bar-nyc

Also, i have had brunch at 230 5th many times and it was all good. They have changed their menu to a buffet now , so i have not been there lately.

6. Re: Brunch with a view? 230 5th or somewhere else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:17