We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics Help to and from Airports

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics Help to and from Airports

After two business trips to NYC (business only no time for anything else), about 20 years worth of day trips (one day trip a year into the city when visiting NJ relatives), and one trip to the US Open tennis tournament where to stay within budget we stayed in Long Island City, I have just booked my first NYC pleasure trip where I'm actually staying in Manhattan (just two nights there after visiting NJ relatives), but I'm excited / something I've wanted to do for a long time, but first time lol I've budgeted for NYC hotel prices).

Thank you too NYWhiz for the Affina Dumont suggestion! I have a $800 budget including taxes, etc. for a two night stay and was able to book one of the Studio Skyline suites with two queens with flexible cancellation option for under that. It was definitely of the hotels I looked at, the one that I was most enthused about at that price point (actually the only one where I said -- oh how cool. We'll love that.) Looks like a great option for the family and the view will be a little bit of a wow factor for us.

Anyway, here are a few logistic questions:

(1) We will be flying into Newark, visiting relatives in NJ for two days, leaving our rental car at the Newark airport, and taking a train to Penn Station. Assuming with luggage, etc. that my best way to get to the Affina Dumont would be to just take a cab from Penn Station rather than navigate the subways with luggage?? Looks like it would only be about $9 plus tip for a cab ride. (The Affina Dumont is located at 150 East 34th street and appear to be pretty close to Grand Central Station (just a little south of that). // It's somewhere around $12 pp to take the train, and there are three of us. // Or would it make more sense to take a cab all the way from Newark after we drop off the rental car vs. train and cab? // I'd be interested in your thoughts / suggestions. Looks like a cab would be about $64 and tip (just an extra $30). For that difference I'd like to just do the option that is the least amount of hassle.

(2) I can fly home from either Newark or LaGuardia for about the same price with good flight schedules and direct flights from either. It looks to me like it would be easiest to just take a cab to LaGuardia for about $32 plus tip from our hotel. Would you agree that that would make the most sense for going home?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics Help to and from Airports

Oh and this is after closures are over for the trains.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics Help to and from Airports

1) taxis are not the best option from Newark. A car service like

Allstatelimo.com

Dial7.com

Are a better option if you want to do that. Will cost ~$70-75 including tolls and tip. Taking the train from Newark I think is about $13/person. If you do that, I would justatke a taxi fom Penn Station. Your only other option is a crosstown bus on 34 st....no subway will get you there. The bus is slow and doesn't un that frequently. I'd take a taxi. Some people would walk.

2) La Guardia is much closer to Manhattan than Newark. If flight prices are the same and times just as good, I'd use LGA. I prefer using a cars serivce vs. a taxi so you dont have to worry about finding one just when you need it. The oth benefit is youget a fixed price o LGA (regardless of traffic) vs.a taxi which is "on the meter".

Edited: 13 July 2014, 03:57
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics Help to and from Airports

Thanks again nywhiz!! // For heading back to LaGuardia we'll use a car service for sure for the reasons above you mentioned. Prices I check out too, as right in line with what a taxi would cost. I appreciate your making that suggestion. It's not something I would have considered and with a set flight time, etc. reserving in advance will be perfect.

Now for getting from the Newark airport to the hotel at the start of our NYC stay, are these car services something you would typically book way in advance or at least the day before? Or could I call 45 minutes before I need one and have them meet me at lets say Enterprise Rent-a-car at the Newark airport or wherever we go for our rental car? Asking because we have a lot of flexibility on our NYC arrival day, don't have to check out of our Clark, NJ hotel till noon, will probably have breakfast there, stop to say bye to family, DS might want to use the pool and Jacuzzi in the morning too, and we'll be playing things by ear a bit. Are these the kind of circumstances when it makes more sense to get in the taxi line at the airport?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics Help to and from Airports

I would book the car service in advance. You can find coupons on-line, usually saves about $5 or so.

We had them pick us up in the morning at an EWR hotel once so they definitely will get you someplace other than the airport. Usually car rental places have someplace for private cars to park/stop (like if someone is dropping you off there) so it shouldn't be a problem.

You do have to give them a definite time so you'll have to figure out the timing of all the stuff you want to do in your last paragraph and make sure you're where you're supposed to be and when. However, if you can't, ask about calling when you get there - they usually have several cars at any given time at the airport so they might work with you on that.

We used Dial 7.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 15:13
5. Re: Logistics Help to and from Airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:16