We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

Next Friday morning our plan is to leave our hotel (at 39th and Lexington) and visit TOTR, walk the High Line, Chelsea Market for snacks, walk down Fifth, Gramercy Park and architecture and Union Square farmers market. Can anyone suggest the best order to do all this in? I had planned on walking it all to take in as much of the city as possible. Our only time restriction is that we need to meet a walking tour at Spring St and 6th Ave at 1:50pm.

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

I'd probably start at the top and go to the 5 Ave/ 59th St station and start walking down Fifth Avenue, getting to TOTR and going up for a view. Mornings shouldn't be busy there at all. Hope it's a nice day though.

Then walk down Fifth to Gramercy Park, Madison Square Park then Union Square. If you get tired there are buses that go down Fifth, jump on one for a few stops.

From Union Square take a crosstown bus on 14th St to Chelsea Market, its a bit of a walk and the bus is quicker and you'll save your feet.

The High Line is then at the back of Chelsea Market. Walk it south for a few blocks if you want or just head north from CM.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

Thanks that is really helpful. Is it easy enough to navigate the cross-town buses? I'm confident giving the subway a try but wasn't sure if buses are 'lost tourist' friendly (they aren't so much in London!)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

The buses are easy to use and "everyone" friendly. The bus stops are clearly marked. And it's easy to watch the street and avenue numbers as you go by, so you always know exactly where you are.

Especially if you have a tight schedule to get down to Spring St, the buses will save you time.

Here is the bus map: http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

USA
Level Contributor
12,421 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

What time are you leaving your hotel? The one concern is being in Soho at 1:50pm.

I would do TOTR, 5th Avenue, Gramercy, Union Square, then to your tour inSoho. I would also try to squeeze in Washington Square Park on your way to Soho. It's a great walk through the Village. But you're going to have to start early to do all of this.

Do your tour, then head up to Chelsea Market and the High Line. You could get dinner in that area and watch the sunset from the High Line.

Use google maps and their walking option. It will give you suggestions or you could alter them to your route. This way you would see walking distances and approximate times. It makes it a bit easier to plan your day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

Actually, springerandy has the better idea. Go to Chelsea Market and the High Line after your tour, you won't be as rushed then. What time does your tour finish and where?

CM stays open late as does the High Line. The High Line is great to see at dusk or even at night. Ii's very pretty with the lights in the gardens.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

Pebble, we do not know how many days that you will be in NYC. That said, and considering the 1:50 PM walking tour, you may want to see on different days the sites and sights described in your original post (above). We have been to the ToTR many times and prefer the view in the evenings. Further, our favorite Friday market is in Union Square and it is much better in the morning. We go to the Chelsea Market and nearby Highline a few times per week and find the "entertainment", people watching and food (lunches) are best in the afternoon.

CH

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

Thank you all for your suggestions. We only have 3 days in the city and this is our only available slot for all these options - I really don't have enough time to cram in everything that I would like to see! The tour finishes at 4pm at Canal and Baxter. We are then going to see the Yankees game at 7pm so unfortunately I don't think we could do the High Line after the tour. We are planning on doing the ESB on Wednesday night when we arrive, so we may give TOTR a miss - if we have to skip something I would rather lose that than the High Line.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

We enjoy the ESB during the day as it offers great views not seen in the evening or at night.

CH

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

Interesting.....I may consider switching ESB and TOTR in that case! Thanks for replying

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Highline/Union Square Itinerary Question

What time would you recommend getting to the Union Square Market? Would mid-morning be too late? Thanks