We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

Ontario
Level Contributor
164 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

Hello!

Hubby and I will be coming to NYC Oct 9-13. So far, On Thurs Oct 9 we will be seeing Judas Priest at the Barclay Centre and on Sunday Oct 12 we will be seeing the Jets vs Broncos in the afternoon and Rangers vs Leafs that evg. We return home on the Monday. We've been to NYC many times - love it -and usually stay in Manhattan but this time, I would prefer to stay somewhere on the LIRR line given high hotel and parking prices. I was thinking that being on the LIRR would give us easy access to PENN and everywhere else that we will have to get to.

We are partial to Marriott and Hilton properties so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

The Barlay Center is in Brooklyn. The Jets play in New Jersey. The Rangers in Manhattan. I cant imagine how you'd figure staying on Long Island is a good idea. I would either stay in downtown Brooklyn if anything fits your budget but more likely Jersey City near a PATh train (Courtyard JC, Doubletree Club, Candlewood Suites JC) or maybe the Sheraton on the Harbor in Weehawken or Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Weehawken
Weehawken
New Jersey
Homewood Suites by Hilton New York/Midtown Manhattan Times Square-South, NY
Homewood Suites by...
2,791 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ontario
Level Contributor
164 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

Hi there - thank-you for your response. I don't know if Long Island would be the best place to stay. I just wanted to be near the train as I know that there are LIRR stations near each venue and that they get into PENN quickly. It doesn't matter to me where we stay as long as it's near the train. I would prefer to avoid the bus or subway totravel between locations if possible. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,922 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

Perhaps you meant New Jersey Transit instead of the LIRR?

But anyway, as usual, Whiz's advice is excellent.

A hotel located near a PATH train (instead of a NJ Transit train or bus) will give you easy inexpensive 24/7 access to Manhattan and the subway to Brooklyn for the Barclay center.

Here is a map of the PATH train: http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

That would also let you avoid the traffic and tolls needed to get to into the city.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,376 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

There is no LIRR station near the Jets' venue.

Why would you rather take an expensive, slow train rather than a fast, cheap one to get around? You can't use the LIRR to get around Manhattan or Brooklyn, only to go from Manhattan or Brooklyn to Long Island, so you're going to spend a lot of money to not go anywhere. Can you explain your thinking a little more?

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

Een if it was a ood idea to stay on Long Island, which it is not if you look at a a map, you would STILL have to travel on the subway once you o to Penn Station since only one of the venues you want to go is walking istance to Penn Station. So how did you think you would get from Penn Station to the Barclay Center or teh jets game etc.? What's your probelm with the subway? PATh is like a subway cinnceting NYC and NJ. From the Sheraton Loncoln Harbor or the Homewood Suites in Edgewater, you can take a ferry to Manhattan but from there, you still need to use the subway.

Mentioned in this post
Homewood Suites by Hilton New York/Midtown Manhattan Times Square-South, NY
Homewood Suites by...
2,791 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

Did you mean Long Island City? and not Long Island?

The G train goes from Long Island City to the Barclays and the E train goes from Long Island City to Penn Station where the Garden is and you can transfer to train to Meadowlands

Mentioned in this post
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

Your LIRR question is like asking "Which GO station should I stay at to travel around Toronto easily? The answer is: NONE.

Just as in Toronto, stay near the a subway station: ANY subway station, and you will have a train arrive every 5-10 minutes, and go wherever you want, as opposed to a train running every 8-60 minutes and going exactly 2 places: 34th and 7th in Manhattan, and Atlantic and Flatbush in Brooklyn. You then have to take a subway or other railroad to go anywhere else. (LIRR = $6 or more per ride usually).

You can stay in Long Island City (which is NOT the same as Long Island, it is a neigbhorhood across the river from the Upper East Side). The stations there are Queensboro Plaza, Queens Plaza, and others nearby. The Country Inn and Suites is 12 minutes from Penn Station by subway ($2.50 per ride)

You can stay in Jersey City, NJ (like the Courtyard by Marriott at Pavonia Newport station on the PATH subway system)and have a 15 minute ride into Manhattan. ($2.50 per ride)

You can stay at any of a number of hotels in the area just southwest of Downtown Brooklyn (look at the La Quinta at 3rd Avenue and 12th St, or the Sleep Inn at 3rd Avenue and 22 St, or the Union Hotel on DeGraw St, or the Marriott in Downtown Brooklyn itself). Each hotel is 10 minutes from the Barclay Center and 20-25 minutes from Penn Station. Subway stations are Union, 9th, Prospect Avenue, 25th, 36, on the R train (yellow).

Note that these are Brooklyn stations and the street numbering system in Brooklyn (and for that matter, in Queens, too) is separate and unrelated to that in Manhattan, In other words: both places have a 42nd St and 7th Avenue. The Manhattan one is Times Square; the Brooklyn one is an auto repair shop :^)

Look at these links and you will realize that the subway or the PATH system is your best choice, not the LIRR.

LIRR, a commuter system stretching 120 miles east: web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/lirrmap.htm

NYC Subway: http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

PATH System in Jersey City, NJ: www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

And here is how you take New Jersey Transit to the Jets Game:

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Upper East Side
Upper East Side
231 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,567 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan
La Quinta Inn & Suites...
2,703 Reviews
New York City, NY
Union Hotel
Union Hotel
412 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
The Manhattan at Times...
9,283 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,032 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Brooklyn
The Brooklyn
300 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Ontario
Level Contributor
164 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

I appreciate all of your comments and have reviewed everything that you have shared. My initial thought based on a stay many years ago is that being on the LIRR line would be best but I am by no means an expert. What are your thoughts of staying at the Homewood Suites, East Rutherford Meadowlands NJ? There is a bus that takes you inti the city (located across the street) and they are close to the Jets. Thoughts? MAny tahnks.

Mentioned in this post
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Homewood Suites by...
656 Reviews
East Rutherford, NJ
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,376 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

That buses are slow and infrequent, don't run late at night, and that getting back to NJ after an event at Barclay's is going to be a nightmare. Is there a reason you don't want to just stay near a subway?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,949 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel suggestions located on LIRR

Listen, if you want to stay near the LIRR purely to save money, there are a few chain hotels right near the Jamaica AirTrain station. I crashed at one for an interrupted flight. They are basic, inexpensive, perfectly decent, and on rather scary blocks with nothing you would ever want to do, eat or see within walking distance -but they're practically on top of Jamaica Station. Look for hotels with "AirTrain" in the name and map them to see if they are no more than two blocks from the station.

Now, that is a downright awful neighborhood, don't get me wrong. But it's a straight shot to Barclays in minutes from Jamaica and a straight shot to Penn in minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY