We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel to choose?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel to choose?

Hi there,

My daughter and I are planning Christmas in New York City. We plan on doing to typical Xmas stuff while there - Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park, The Christmas Spectacular Show, window shopping on 5th, etc.

My sister and her family will also be there and they are staying next to Rockefeller. We don't plan on staying in the same hotel as them. I'd like to know your ranking or thoughts on the following hotels. Looking for a nice Christmasy feeling hotel.

Club Quarters Rockefeller (currently have booked, most expensive of the four)

The Royalton Hotel (great price, but read rooms are dark dreary and small)

The Lexington (great price, will need to walk a bit to meet up with family)

Empire Hotel (fantastic price, furthest from Rockefeller of the four hotels listed here)

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 00:05
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to choose?

What are the rates you are getting at each? What type of room?

The Lexington is really not that far from the Rockefeller Center. I stayed there and really liked it, but the standard rooms are quite small. King room is a minimum if you plan to be in that room at and even that is not that large. I stayed in a junior suite with my mom, it was comfortable for 2 (our room was about 380 sq ft)

Both Royalton and Empire also have very small standard rooms as far as I know.

What is your max budget? Also, can you explain what you mean by Christmasy? Are you looking for a boutique style hotel?

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Also, what are your exact dates?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Dates Dec 24th - 28th

The rates I'm getting for Royalton and Lexington and Empire are $200 US or under before tax. Club Quarters would be approx. $100 more total for four nights.

Christmas-y meaning nicely decorated at Christmas time, even over-the-top would be great.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to choose?

I would not pay $ 100 more for Club Quarters. Other than the location, I don't see anything special about that hotel as far as personality or room size. Yourdates are not too expensive...

Edited: 15 July 2014, 00:57
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Yeah its more of a business hotel and I also think too pricy for what it is.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,053 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Stay at the Muse, a Kimpton hotel.

Perfect location for what you will be doing and at that time of year.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel to choose?

The Muse is beautiful, but a lot more expensive than $300 for those dates.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel to choose?

I would say Club Quarters would be kind of a dismal hotel for a vacation. Ok for business but not vacation. Small rooms, no lobby to speak of, although there is a dining area on the 5th level or thereabouts that is nice. Quite surprised it is more $$ than the others.

Lexington does have small standard rooms but neat lobby (good for plopping down after walking all over NYC) and good location.

If you can back up your dates a day or two you may find the rates go down. As New Year's approaches, rates skyrocket. If you haven't booked your flight try different dates to see what happens rate-wise.

oh and if you're not familiar with it, oyster.com has some pretty good hotel reviews and pictures of specific rooms in some cases.

Good luck.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 03:11
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel to choose?

The dates right around Christmas Day are low demand times. If you book something now, make sure it can be canceled without a fee. Prices may drop closer to the date. In fact, it's very likely there will be some good deals closer to the date that aren't yet published.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Thanks all. Will keep an eye on Lexington (photos of the lobby do look exceptionally nice).

I always thought Christmas was a high priced period in NYC.