We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

This is super cool and interesting. This beautiful NYC Taxi Visualization shows the data for a randomly selected NYC yellow taxi cab for a 24-hour day. It also shows its route, its total fare, and it’s activity.

nyctaxi.herokuapp.com/…

Launceston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

Absolutely fascinating.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

Amazing. Lots of short trips and only one trip out to JFK. And it's good to see they got their fair share of tips.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
892 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

Wow!

I am guessing they have 2 drivers running the cab 24 hours? Would be interesting to find out how the revenue was split out amongst the interested parties. Also I wonder how many other cities would have such a high amount of time where the taxi is earning money.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,361 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

Aynat--I didn't see a trip to JFK, I saw one to LGA and one to EWR. I wondered if it shows the same taxi each time--and going back I clicked again and it doesn't. We are all watching different cabs. McNs--the cab I saw brought in less than $600 for the day. Before anyone makes $$, if it is a company taxi the driver pays rent and gas. He/she then get to keep the balance. Of course taxes are paid on that balance. Driving a cab is not a well paying job. That is why we keep stressing it is necessary to tip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

I just watched it again and it's either a different taxi or the same taxi on a different day because there were no airport trips at all that time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

I love the idea! But the graphics are extremely glitchy for me, and they were yesterday too. It starts off fine, but then after a late night fare to Queens, the graphics slow down and the clock doesn't. So it looks like it takes for hours to get from Woodside to the UES. After that, the graphics start jumping around and shaking. I really wish I could see it correctly! Has this been happening to anyone else?

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

London, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

That's fascinating! I wonder what the running costs are. Do the drivers rent the cabs or do they own them?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

Shawnito, it gets a bit jittery sometimes. And the one I watched moved about a foot a minute from 2.00am to 4.00am.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

It doesn't work at all for me. I'm firing up my playbook to see if its my laptop acting up :(

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Taxis: A Day in the Life

There must be something my latop doesn't like about the script on that site. It worked great on my playbook.

The slower I set the time factor the more fluid the display was. Really cool thing to check out.