We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Niagara Falls

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
New York to Niagara Falls

Im looking at travelling to USA and would like to do a tour from New York to Niagara Falls. Travel month is Dec 14. Please advise me how I can go about organising a tour, 4 people and upto 3 days.

Thank you

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

It is a terrible idea to go there in the winter

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

Upstate NY in the winter is challenging at best. We get Lake Effect snow where there are times where you can't see more than a couple of feet ahead of you. In addition, many of the best tourist attractions are closed.

However, if you're undeterred, post on the Niagara forum & see what you can find.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

It will be much cheaper and not as rushed if you do it yourself. Check flights from NYC to Buffalo - Jet Blue does the flight and was having a fare sale this week. Once in Buffalo you can rent a car or hire a cab to take you to the Canadian side of the falls. There you dont really need a car, the people mover shuttle comes as a package with the entry to the attractions. But I did it in the summer - can't imagine walking around or doing things like the Maid of the Mist if it even runs in the winter. Obviously, you can still see the falls from the sidelines - or there is a good view from the restaurant in the Marriott - the Keg, I think.

suitcaseready.com

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

Tours are terrible. Do it yourself.

Fly jetBlue from New York to Buffalo. Taxi or hire car to Niagara Falls (close by).

It is a rather dreary and depressing town - you don't need three days there - it is not a charming / cute touristy town - it is sad and very down on its luck. The Falls are beautiful but the town is not charming.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,869 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

Maid of the Mist is closed during winter.

Wintry weather up there can disrupt flights, either canceling your trip up or leaving you stuck there when you are ready to fly out. The same goes for buses, or the journey could be even longer than usual due to icy weather.

NYC weather generally isn't that bad in Dec. It's the NF area that is problematic.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

We looked into this day trip but I only had a Saturday free and they don't fly on Saturdays! I'm so bummed I won't be able to make it to Niagara Falls but it will mean that I have (another) excuse to return one day soon. http://www.mauivaaircruise.com/niagara it is a private plane tour so you bypass all the security etc at the airport.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

^^

You can do a trip on your own(flying from NYC) for about 1/2 the price of that.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

I'll tell you what. Save up your money so that you can afford one of the Falls View hotels run by Marriott or Sheraton. That way, even if you're too tired to go see the Falls, you can go to your balcony, have a favorite beverage or even a room service breakfast & see the Falls in style.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

The private tour mentioned in post #6 says it leaves from "Long Island", but does not mention a specific airport. It does mention including land transportation on both ends.

So I wonder if it leaves from maybe MacArthur instead of JFK or LGA?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York to Niagara Falls

If you want to see Niagara Falls going in the winter is not a terrible idea . Yes it will be cold but the Falls are still wonderful. Seeing them partly frozen and surrounded by snow is beautiful. Hotels are heaps cheaper as well.

Apart from flying or bus you can take the train. Make sure you stay on the Canadian

side.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 21:56