We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help findign a restaurants for a destination baby shower

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Help findign a restaurants for a destination baby shower

I am in the midst of trying to find a place for my daughter's destination baby shower and would appreciate your help. The date is the weekend after Labor Day, so we know we have to get on this.

My daughter wants an Italian restaurant for brunch or lunch, preferably downtown. A separate room for the shower would be great, and our budget is around $50/person. We're inviting about 60 people, and as most will have to travel, we're expecting about half that number. Gemma is high on our list, but their minimum $1000/hour seems steep...or is it? We'll be wanting to offer champagne cocktails or wine, and know that this might be outside the $50/person fare.

Do you have any other suggestions? We've also looked a Paradou in the Meat Packing District, but it's French and as her husband is of Italian heritage, my daughter wants an Italian theme.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help findign a restaurants for a destination baby shower

Eolo on 7th Ave at 21st is very good (Sicilian) - they do group dinners for visitors from Italy all the time. I do wine dinners there and they are very accommodating, with good service and consistently good food.

Bocca di Bacco is a good group of restaurants with locations around the city. The smaller one on 9th Ave in the 20s is good. The one on 7th gets a huge all you can drink brunch crowd that is a scene - although they're trying to tame it. Not Michelin fare, but very good. We finally went to the 7th Ave location last Friday and I was thrilled with everything I tried.

I have no idea what these places would charge for private parties however.

suitcaseready.com

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help findign a restaurants for a destination baby shower

Go to Opentable. Click the picture of the blue forks (private dining). Choose the number of people, cuisine, and for location don't just click "New York" click "more" and you can pick all the exact neighborhoods you want.

You will then have to contact them for prices but it's a start.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help findign a restaurants for a destination baby shower

Il Buco in the wine cellar

Lupa has a private room

Locanda Verde has a fabulous brunch (imo) but I don't think they have a private oom but can likely seat you in a separate area.

Your daughter should also think about the fact that brunch food is typically not very Italian, even in an Italian restaurant. Her options will be wider if she looks at other kinds of retaurants. I also think you should have a good idea of how many will be coming before booking something. Many places may want a minimum guarantee. What happens if many fewer come? That's a tough weekend to be travelling imo. Airfare will be high.

Frankly, I've never heard of a destination shower and think its a pretty expensive proposition unless many are. From NYC. For many people it will be their last summer weekend and they might resent losing a it unless you know many would eb happy o coe to NYC. Will you be getting a group rate at a hotel?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help findign a restaurants for a destination baby shower

The places I mentioned (other than Bocca, which Im not sure about due to the aforementioned all you can drink brunch scene) have regular menus for lunch.

I rarely eat what is considered brunch food (challah French toast, eggs benedict, overcooked fritatas)

Le Zie also has a regular lunch menu option for brunch; you would probably take over the place. I dont think the back room is big enough for your party but they would know better.

suitcaseready.com

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help findign a restaurants for a destination baby shower

Thank you for your replies. The date is as it is because of the due date and avoiding the Labor Day weekend. We have a two week trip spstarting the next weekend, so it is what it is. Your suggestions have been very helpful and I'm contacting the restaurants to see what we can arrange.

6. Re: Help findign a restaurants for a destination baby shower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:17