We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shows - Open run? first timers in nyc 22 March 2015 to 26

New Zealand, north...
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shows - Open run? first timers in nyc 22 March 2015 to 26

Hi sorry to ask what is probably a very dumb question but what does open run mean for shows.

the reason I ask is Wicked says it is a "open run show" but to buy tickets for the time we are there seems it will not be running?

(My daughter would love to see this. I am more open to shows like pippin, annie, (stomp, which is there then) phantom of the opera, kinky boots etc

we are staying on 50th street across from the Gershwin Theater.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,598 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shows - Open run? first timers in nyc 22 March 2015 to 26

They're just not selling tickets that far in advance. It will still be running in March.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shows - Open run? first timers in nyc 22 March 2015 to 26

Maybe it will help you to understand if I refer to the just-announced closing of "Rocky". The Shubert Organization was so confident of the "legs" on this new show that they moved the long-running (and relatively cheap to operate) show they had in the Winter Garden theater to accommodate the physical demands of "Rocky". Alas, it appears (I didn't see the show) that "Rocky" wasn't good enough to attract an audience!

In today's business climate, one also has to suspect that one reason for not selling tickets too far in advance is to consider, and reconsider, what should be the "demand pricing" at a date in the future.

Although it is theoretically possible that a show you bought long-distance tickets for could close before you arrive in the U.S., your money is not in danger. New York State has fairly strong consumer protection laws, and Broadway shows have an impeccable record of returning ticket prices for cancelled shows. I should add that I am NOT familiar with Ticketmaster or Telecharge's policies on Fee 1, Fee 2, and Fee 3. Those are not part of the "ticket price"!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shows - Open run? first timers in nyc 22 March 2015 to 26

Open run means that there is no closing date yet. Some shows only run a certain number of days & no more. For example, Bette Midler did a one woman show a little bit ago & it ran only as long as the dates posted (I'm certain she had other committments.) Most shows are open run which means they will run until it is no longer economically feasible to pay the costs to run the show.

New Zealand, north...
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shows - Open run? first timers in nyc 22 March 2015 to 26

Thank you all for your help. My daughter will be very pleased.

5. Re: Shows - Open run? first timers in nyc 22 March 2015 to 26

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:16