We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book flights to NYC

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to book flights to NYC

We're looking to go to NYC for 1 week in April / May 2015. I've started to look at flights but they seem to be a bit pricey... I guess it is still quite some time away so could be why, it's also been a couple of years since I last visited so prices have inflated.

From people's experience, when is the best time to book flights for the best cost? I've done some Googling and it suggests 5 weeks before, but no chance am I leaving it that late!

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
440 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book flights to NYC

Usually the longer you leave it prices increase because there is more demand for the seats. Whereas if you booked them when the prices went on sale 11 months ago, they SHOULD be at the lowest however the airline may put a sale on. I've found lately after Christmas the fares tend to decrease. That doesn't mean to say they will do the same this year.

Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to book flights to NYC

I booked mine 11 months in advance and have never seen them cheaper.

Most places you can get away with 5 weeks before hand but flights to NYC don't need help selling. They sell themselves.

Was recommended to buy the earlier the better as I was looking at BA's most popular route (Heathrow > JFK) so booked as soon as I had the money.

I fly next Sunday so unless the prices dip next week, this method appears to have paid off...

USA
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to book flights to NYC

Airfares vary so much. I think you have to pull the trigger when you're comfortable with price. Some times you can't avoid higher rates, such as spring break, etc. I typically like to book airfare about 6 months before a trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,891 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to book flights to NYC

>>>Whereas if you booked them when the prices went on sale 11 months ago, they SHOULD be at the lowest<<<

Unfortunately, that's not the case at all.

Historically, the dates when fares are immediately released are it's highest, because airlines can only forecast demand based on previous seasons' data, often it's the period when early planners jump at sector availability, and dynamic pricing has not taken effect. Consumers who have purchased at or near dates of release, which happen to fall on periods which are low seasonally influenced, mistakenly believe it is cheaper, but isn't necessarily the 'lowest' that fare bucket could/will be. And previous years performance is only ever a guideline, and is no guarantee of future performance over the same period.

So there is no 'best time' (or everyone will wait for the 'best time' and the airlines will cotton on to this, then increase fares due to 'best time' demand) it's a matter of researching seasonal lows (both origin and destination) as a target, watch carefully and sign up for email notifications with a few carriers of your preference. And as mentioned above, buy when you are happy with the fares - and don't look back.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 19:30
5. Re: Best time to book flights to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:16