We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

We have a layover on Monday 7/21st. We arrived and will stay at a hotel near EWR. Our flight to Europe is at 6pm on 7/21st. Trying to figure out the best way to go to Highline and then Chelsea Market for lunch.

(1) Would Luthansa Airline allow me to check my bags in early that morning, get my boarding pass? If not, is there locker at EWR so I can pack the bags?

(2) Should we take a taxi to Chelsea from Newark or AirTrain then train? Taxi is so expensive $100? for 45 minutes.

(3) How long is train to Chelsea?

(4)What time should I leave Chelsea for EWR if my International flight is at 6pm? I am nervous about commute time.

Thanks a million!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

Take the EWR Airtrain to the railroad station. Take a New Jersey Transit train to New York (NOT an Amtrak train). Take the downtown C or E train to 14th St, which is at 8th Avenue. You are a very short distance from the eastern end of Chelsea Market, which goes from 15th St and 9th Avenue to 15th and 10th Avenue.

The NJ Transit train costs $12.50 per person; the subway is $2.50 per person. So for $30 you wind up at Chelsea Market, as fast as if you took a cab.

The High Line starts at 12th St and 10th Avenue and ends at 30th St and 10th Avenue.

Penn Station is at 31st St and 8th AVenue.

Getting to NYC: panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochur…

Chelsea Market: http://www.chelseamarket.com/

High Line: www.thehighline.org/pdf/high-line-map.pdf

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

You need to check with Lufthansa to see if you can check your bag so many hours early. Is it all on one ticket from SF to Europe? If it is, then it stays checked through, usually.

Also, if you have to recheck your luggage you need to absolutely 100% have you luggage checked in 60 minutes before the plane is scheduled to leave (not 59.5 minutes, they are serious about that). So you would have to give yourself about an hour to get there, 75 minutes to wait on line to check your luggage, and then an hour for security. If your bags are checked through, the 75 minutes to wait on the check-in line is not necessary, so just leave 2 -1/4 hours before your plane leaves.

The train itself actually takes only a half hour, but in New York, everything else takes longer than you expect, even just crossing the street.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

Why don't you leave your bags with your EWR hotel after you check out? You'll have to go back there to get them but it might be the best alternative.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

I didn't see that you were staying at a hotel. If it's not on the Airport grounds, there will be a lot of going back and forth between hotel and airport, unfortunately.

Can you stay in a Manhattan hotel near Penn Station?

Also, you can store your luggage at Penn Station at the 31rd and 8th entrance inside. You have to show your NJTransit ticket to be allowed to do that. It is a person, not a locker.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

The flaw in this plan is that the luggage and the Newark Airport hotel create a big challenge.

Lufthansa isn't staffed in the morning because their departures are all in the late afternoon / evening. So, there isn't going to be any Lufthansa people at Newark to check luggage in with at 10:00AM for instance.

You'd be able to leave the luggage at the hotel but it is a pain to get from the hotel to the airport to get the AirTrain to the NJ Transit train. You'd then have to go back - NJTransit to AirTrain to hotel shuttle. Then hotel shuttle to AirTrain to the terminal for Lufthansa. What a pain! And how time consuming. NYC taxi's go to Newark Airport but not Newark Airport hotels - only to the airport. NYC taxi drivers don't know their way on local roads and they don't have GPS.

You want to stay at a Manhattan hotel opposite Penn Station. There is a lovely Fairfield Inn by Marriott outside Penn Station. There is also the Affinia Manhattan and also the New Yorker Hotel - all are opposite Penn Station. Yes - I know it'll cost a few dollars more but let's face it you could have saved even more money by taking Greyhound from San Francisco to NYC but you elected to fly - now pay the few extra dollars to be able to accomplish what you want in NYC - stay in Manhattan.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

I wouldnt leave NJ. I would grab lunch in the Ironbound than hit the Newark Meusem. It can take an hour to get from P4 to the hotel grab your luggage and go back to P4. Here are a few link

www.gonewark.com

www.goironbound.com

7. Re: EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 21:33
8. Re: EWR to Chelsea Market in Manhanttan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:17