We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC itinerary for a short visit

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
NYC itinerary for a short visit

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with creating a good itinerary for our stay in NYC starting 28th July and will appreciate your assistance. We have really little time as we will be at NYC 3,5 days but in fact we have them splitted.

We are arriving JFK either at 4PM or 9PM on Monday (it depends which flight we catch, it will be unknown until we are onboard). Are having rented car and heading our Brooklyn bnb (area of Bushwick). And then if this will be earlier flight we will have the evening (probably from 8PM) or if not, the evening is gone.

Then in the morning we must drive to Woodbury Common. Probably we will spend there about 4 hours until 2 or 3PM and then head back to Bushwick. Then return a car at Greenwich and we are "free".

We depart from JFK at 5 PM on Thrusday 4th.

Summing this all up:

1st day - possible free evening (we could even use a car if needed)

2nd day - we can start our trip at 5-6 PM

3rd day - trip continues

4th day - we have to be at JFK at 3PM

I was thinking about TOTR, Circle Line Cruse (full or semi), Metropolitan Musem of Art, Time Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, some scenic view on Manhattan (where from?). I have no idea how to arrange these attractions in the plan and what to add between them.

Additionaly, we can have bikes from our bnb so we could use them too.

Do you think it will be worth buying New York Pass?

Thanks a lot,

Andrzej

P.S. Forgot to tell, that this is our 1st time in NY but we plan to come back there soon as our friend is moving here. Hence, probably this is not a last visit. We just want to see the symbols and feel the city a bit.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 18:20
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

A few things:

1) Why are you only finding out what time your flights gets in once you get to the airport? This sounds really odd and to be honest, a little concerning!

2) why are you renting a car to get to Brooklyn? This is not a good idea. It's very expensive and generally not recommended. Why not get a taxi or use public transport? Also there is public transport to Woodbury Common that you can get. If this is why you are getting a car, then I'd rethink this.

3) do not get a New York pass, it's not worth it for the time you are here and what you want to see.

4) to plan your itinerary you need to get a map - either a hard copy or use Google Maps and plot the things you want to do and that will create an itinerary for you. Have a go at this and once you are done if you want us to look over it for you, post it and you can get feedback.

Doing this will also help you get a layout of the City which will be really helpful for when you arrive.

5) a lot of the bnb's in NYC are illegal if you are staying for less than 30 days. Hopefully yours is not one of them but reading this did give me concerns. If I was you I'd be posting the name of it and the address so that the local experts can confirm it for you. I'd hate for you to arrive and find out that it either doesn't exist or that there is any other sort of trouble.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

Pay attention to point #5 above!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

Hi Ktsnowowl,

Thanks for your reply and advice.

1) Why are you only finding out what time your flights gets in once you get to the airport? This sounds really odd and to be honest, a little concerning!

I work in the airline and have ID stanby tickets. This means that I have a ticket for the flight but fly when free seats are available. The day I am coming there are 2 flights from Warsaw to JFK and if I will not get on first a/c (less available seats at the moment), I will most probably get on the second as it has much more free seats. This is why it is unknown.

2) why are you renting a car to get to Brooklyn? This is not a good idea. It's very expensive and generally not recommended. Why not get a taxi or use public transport? Also there is public transport to Woodbury Common that you can get. If this is why you are getting a car, then I'd rethink this.

Transport from JFK will cost us (2 people) 15$. Transport to Woodbury Common is 80$ (40 per person). I booked a car for total (all fees etc.) 97$ so only 2 bucks more (plus some fuel). But we can go and come back from shopping whenever we want to and drive to our bnb with all the bags from Woodbury and JFK too.

I think this will be more comfortable.

4) to plan your itinerary you need to get a map - either a hard copy or use Google Maps and plot the things you want to do and that will create an itinerary for you. Have a go at this and once you are done if you want us to look over it for you, post it and you can get feedback.

Doing this will also help you get a layout of the City which will be really helpful for when you arrive.

Ok. Thanks, I'll do that.

5) a lot of the bnb's in NYC are illegal if you are staying for less than 30 days. Hopefully yours is not one of them but reading this did give me concerns. If I was you I'd be posting the name of it and the address so that the local experts can confirm it for you. I'd hate for you to arrive and find out that it either doesn't exist or that there is any other sort of trouble.

Thanks for pointing this out. I searched the web and found article. We are not renting the whole apartment only a room. This bnb has plenty of reviews at airbnb.

I can still change to the hotel but liked the location and general idea of bnb. You can see how local people live and feel a bit normal NYC life.

Thanks.

Regards,

Andrzej

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

Driving in NYC upon arrival having never been is not a smart idea. The cost of fuel, parking, and the overall hassle simply makes no sense to me. I come from the land of automobiles (Texas) and have been to NYC several times and strongly suggest for you to rethink this.

USA
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

That and don't forget the tolls and time sitting in traffic. I don't understand the allure of Woodbury Commons either. You're coming from Poland to NYC, why not spend all of your time in NYC? There is no need to go elsewhere, especially with the short amount of time you have.

Make sure your accommodation is not illegal.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

Having a car in NYC is really not as "comfortable" as it might seem. Driving is typically pretty stressful. The traffic is crazy. Parking is expensive and/or hard to find. The driving can be challenging. I'm a "Boston Driver" which means I'm used to heavy big-city traffic, aggressive drivers, missing road signs, potholes and the like. I absolutely dread driving in NYC because it's so much like home, only with far more potential to get lost. I've done it multiple times and avoid it whenever I can.

The streets are crowded. It is very easy to get lost because, when it moves, traffic moves quickly and you have to make choices fast. Traffic in the City is legendary.If you don't time your driving around rush hour, you could spend precious vacation hours sitting in traffic---not to mention the possibility of meeting the squeegee guys or mistakenly taking the tunnel or bridge when you don't mean to.

With so few days in NYC, I question going to Woodbury Outlets. Do you really want to waste the better part of a day on this? To each his own, but it's a big trek for outlet shopping--and it's not as if there's no shopping in NYC proper. The Outlets are a big generic conglomeration of stores, most of which sell lower-quality merchandise produced for the outlet stores. If you had a week, I'd be more in favor of it. With so few days, why would anyone pass on the world's most exciting city (in my opinion) to go to a generic mall that's more or less the same as any other similar mall in the US?

Regarding the CityPass, I wonder if you would have time to do all the activities in that. Everything takes longer than you think it will, especially if you are going to touristy places. By planning to spend time at the Outlets, you are limiting your time in Manhattan.

My advice would be to ---consider--- dropping Woodbury and taking the subway around from place to place. I'd listen to the locals regarding the rental. I don't know about that, typically I get deals on Priceline or Hotwire for my NYC stays.

if you go to NYC without strolling through Central Park, you've missed Manhatttan. There I said it. :)

Edited: 20 July 2014, 22:13
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,017 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

I have to agree with avoiding hiring the car and going to Woodbury Commons for a day out of only 3.5. If you're really keen on outlet shopping - investigate the options for discount shopping on Manhattan: Century 21, DSW, Burlington Coat Factory (more than coats).

For $2 savings (excluding petrol and assuming you do go to Woodbury Commons) you're adding a lot of stress to your short visit. While you can see all those iconic sights AND go shopping at WC in 3.5 days, I think you're missing many iconic sites in your very short list (see below). You don't need a car for any of them - including your first night. For that I think you will be doing something like grabbing a bite to eat and making your way across through Brooklyn Heights to the Promenade to see THAT view across to Manhattan.

I think when you look at Google maps you'll see what we mean about travelling around on the subway and being able to group your sites. For example -

- combine Met Museum with Central Park one day - enjoy a stroll along 5th Avenue for window shopping that day

- ToTR, Rockefeller Center and Times Square - night time on another. Go to Hell's Kitchen for your meals - eatingwithziggy.com/2013/… (see the map at the bottom of the page)

- Circle Line ferry trip and shopping on Manhattan on your 3rd day. (or if you insist, go to WC this day and do the Circle Line ferry the last morning)

But you've not added obvious sites such as the NY Public Library and Grand Central Terminal (both in midtown), the Highline (combine with ferry ride), walking around a neighborhood (depends) ...I'd do all of these before I went to WC.

Have a great few days.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

Thank you all for your suggestions. This is what makes this forum legendary.

Shopping at Woodbury Common was my wife's "must" but using your comments I negotiated a bit. ;) We are going to California few days after NYC visit and will have outlet stores very close when in Carlsbad, so we will postpone long outlet shopping. Maybe we will just go to any Manhattan outlet for hour or two - she "needs" to buy few things.

So not it seems we do not need a car.

Many of you warn about bnb and suggest to check if it is illegal. From what I read, renting the whole apartment is illegal. But when one of the residents is onsite during the rent, which is in our case because we rent a room, is then legal. Do you have anymore suggestions how to check the legality?

And still New York City Pass is an open issue for me. Now, when we will have 2,5 days having canceled WC visit, we could see more attractions. From what I read there are fast lanes so no need to wait in long lines what would save some time.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

Thanks for clarifying my first point, that makes way more sense now. I'm also glad you have decided against a car. Get an unlimited metro card for $31 each and it will pay for itself in the time you are there.

You are correct in a sense about renting a room rather than a whole apartment; however, the renting of rooms may still be against the rules and regulations that cover the building itself. So you still face the chance of being evicted and/or having no where to stay on arrival. There are tons of threads on this forum about air bandb, I implore you to do a forum search (sort by date) and read up on this really well. You should also have a look at the top questions on the right hand side of the forum (not viewable on a smart phone).

I also get the desire to live like a local and spend a bit less money, but how comfortable will it be walking into a stranger's house each day, using their stuff, hoping they don't steal yours. Is it really worth the risk?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC itinerary for a short visit

Here's an article on whether an attraction pass is worth it.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

Also, I drive down to NYC from upstate frequently but I put my car in a garage in or near the hotel & don't touch it until I leave. It's much less stressfull to take public transportation like the subway & cheaper as you don't have to pay to park (if you can find a place to park.)