We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

We are staying in midtown Manhattan/5th avenue. Thinking of the following itinery for a Monday in mid august leave hotel head south and do the Staten Island ferry looks like you get a good view of the Statue of Liberty ( we have done the circle cruise before so not sure if uts worth it time wise

Visit 9/11 memorial and museum for 3hrs

Head north to Chelsea market (&lunch)and a walk on the high line and head to Bryant park to watch the Monday night open air movie with a nice picnic

Is this doable and sensible??

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

If you make an early start it is doable, but it would seem that if you have already been on the circle line cruise there is no need to catch the Staten Island ferry also.

The only exception to this would be if you wanted to get off at Staten Island and explore it which is highly recommend.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

assuming you're WANTING to get on the water, but at a cheaper price, an early riser or a late luncher, then yes for sure :-).

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

The Staten Island Ferry is about 1 hour round trip provided you can catch the next boat back. They chase you off the ferry in Staten Island and you must walk quickly around to the waiting room there. Be near the front of the ferry when arriving in SI for a fast escape. The view is nice, not as close as the Circle Line might take you to the Statue of Liberty, but not bad. The ferry is not that far from the 911 Memorial and the walk up Broadway is interesting.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

I want to the same itinerary…please let me know your step by step process ( including public transportation ).

Sounds like a wonderful combination of food, water, and museum

davewaikiki

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,937 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

If you start early you could certainly do it all. Though going on the SI ferry just to view the SOL and coming straight back is a waste of time if you've already done the Circle Line cruise. Now, if you want to do a highlights tour of SI while you are there look at www.carretatours.com

If you'd rather forget about SI (ferry or tour) then just spend some time in Lower Manhattan, you get a view of the SOL from Battery Park (though at a fair distance) and the park is nice to walk around.

Before or after the 9/11 Memorial and Museum you could go to St Paul's Chapel which ties in with the 9/11 Memorial theme. They have a small 9/11 display because it was a respite center during that time plus the chapel is gorgeous too.

Wall Street is good for a walk around, it's very bustling on a weekday.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 01:33
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

Thanks to everyone really helpful advice

we'll probably give the SI ferry a miss

we will probably be out of the hotel by 8 at the latest

we will need to take transport down from our hotel sprinngfield suites on 5th ave west 37th to the 911 memorial and museum, there are four of us it will be monday and we will be up early so options are

train i guess efficient but we would see nothing ( have done the train before)

bus or cab, traffic i imagine will be bad but we would get to see more of NYC

the museum does not open till 9 but if we get there early I assume we can see the memorial

All help appreciated

And finally! anyone any idea how long it would take to walk to Chelsea market and the high line

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,937 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

Are you saying you want to walk from the 9/11 Memorial to the High Line/Chelsea Market? That would take about 45 mins according to Google maps. Walk via the Hudson Greenway for a nicer walk if you do walk it.

Or to get there quicker and save time for the rest of your day you could take the 1,2,3 or E train, or the M20 bus, these would take about 25 mins.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 22:29
New York City
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

your best way to the 9/11 memorial is the R train southbound towards whitehall street - get off at Cortlandt Street and you are right there.

if it's not too hot it might be a nice long walk to Chelsea Market otherwise you can take the blue subway line (A/C/E) to 14th street or (1) to 18th Street. Chelsea Market is actually in the middle of where the High Line is located, I'd walk south (left when you're facing the water) to see the Meatpacking district first, walk to the beginning, and then make your way up to the end around 30th street which is not tooo far from your hotel.

If you're tired from walking you can always take the taxi from 30th street which is pretty economical for four people.

Enjoy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

>>Are you saying you want to walk from the 9/11 Memorial to the High Line/Chelsea Market? That would take about 45 mins according to Google maps. Walk via the Hudson Greenway for a nicer walk if you do walk it.

I do this walk a lot and 45 minutes is accurate, but you'll probably want to slow down and look at things. The walk through Hudson River Park is lovely if the weather is nice, or you could walk up Greenwich Street to see some of Tribeca.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staten Island ferry 9/11 memorial Chelsea mkt the high line

Thanks really helpful, if its not too hot a walk through the Hudson River park sounds like a great option. Would my teenage daughters (who love to shop) prefer Tribecca I don't ono that area well