We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas markets 2014

plymouth
Level Contributor
265 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
christmas markets 2014

Hi there,

I am just doing a bit of research for our NYC trip and was wondering if anyone could confirm for us if there are any Christmas markets open after the 24th of Dec? We will be landing on the 25th staying for 4 nights at hotel Avalon but am disappointed to see that the majority of the Christmas markets appear to end on the 24th :( this is our second trip to NYC as we came back in May 2008 and often travel abroad during the Christmas period, normally to Europe where the markets are lovely at this time of year (paris, Barcelona, prague,dublin) this is quite disappointing if its true :((( could anyone confirm?

Also while I am here if anyone has any must see/must do things for this time of year I would be grateful!!! last time we did the ESB & TOTR, helicopter trip and Niagra falls trip which were fab and we walked a lot of the city but still felt like we had only just touched the surface, on our list of must do's so far are

statten island ferry, walk the Brooklyn bridge ( my feet didn't make it last time after good intensions on the last trip after our last night at the river café ) see more of central park ( very wet last time ) Visit the 911 museum and memorial (a pitty the freedom tower observation deck wont be open) explore more of the Brooklyn area, last time I loved grand central station and its magical ceiling and will definitely be making a pit stop there along with stopping off for cheesecake again aswell :)

We are a young couple 36 & 40 (now married) who love to walk and explore although we will be making extensive use of our metro cards again, who enjoy great eats (especially steak) ocasionally on a romantic dinner. My husband loves sweet treats and we are hoping to take a trip to carlos bakery too! Im a little more into sightseeing and photography and he's the shopper who also loves golf!

Any suggestions would be fantastic as since we have been before we are kind of looking for something a little different and not as touristy as we did before.

Thank you in advance

Canada
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas markets 2014

The Shops at Bryant Park are open until the first week of January.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
246 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas markets 2014

I was in NYC last Christmas Eve, and I'm pretty sure the Christmas markets were open until 4pm. I had previously been to the one in Bryant Park several times, and I think it's quite nice. Last year we went to the one at Union Square, which I believe is essentially the same as the one in Columbus Circle. I haven't been to a Christmas market in Europe, but from what I have read about them, you are likely to be disappointed, as my wife and I were, with the one at Union Square. There was virtually no Christmas theme to the market, it was really just a collection of gift shops. Fine for buying a quick gift for someone, but not "Christmas-y" at all, in my opinion, save for a few shops that sold ornaments. I don't live in NYC, I only visit frequently, but there must be better things to do if you are looking for something that will tickle your holiday spirit. Perhaps try the market at Bryant Park; there is a skating rink there, and it's very pretty. There is always the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center, and the Christmas displays at the shops on 5th Ave (between Rock Center and Central Park). They are wonderful, but on the 24th these areas may be extremely crowded.

plymouth
Level Contributor
265 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas markets 2014

Thank you for your replies although i did mention that we didn't arrive until the 25th. We will definitely have to make a trip to Bryant park again seeing as this is actually my maiden name and also see what grand central has to offer too!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas markets 2014

The only market that stays open past Christmas Eve is the one in Bryant Park. It's a festive location, though - there is a big tree and an ice skating rink there, too. :)

Here's a link to the 2013 Christmas thread, which will give you an idea of the NYC holiday events and attractions. (It sounds like you may have read through this already?) The 2014 list will probably look almost exactly the same, with only the dates shifting slightly (by a day):

tripadvisor.com/…53972764

Enjoy your trip!

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas markets 2014

The Christmas markets in NYC tend to be more gift items than holiday decorations. Many are Asian imports and occasional craft items. Wearable items are popular.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: christmas markets 2014

The Christmas market by Columbus Circle is the one that feels very European like... very nice. They stay open until Christmas Eve though.

7. Re: christmas markets 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:15