We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York with infant (4,5 month)

3 posts
Save Topic
New York with infant (4,5 month)

So we are going to New York on vacation in September with our baby (4,5 month at the time traveling).

I have read what I could find on the topic but I would much appreciate some more tips on restaurants both for lunch and dinner where there's room for a stroller by the table (we can fold it but it's nice to eat when baby is asleep).

Tips on good parks to eat take away lunch?

We will be living in lower East side (by Williamsburg bridge) but we are interested in tips around the city.

I also wonder if it conciders OK to breastfeed at restaurants /cafe's /parkbenches? (of course being discreet)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

I breast fed all over the City (including at least once on the subway) and never got hassled, so you shouldn't worry about that. for kid and baby-friendly restaurants, try mommypoppins.com

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

NYC actually has some pretty strict laws protecting breastfeeding, and we've developed a strong breastfeeding culture here. So throw a little blanket over the baby and let her munch away. This isn't necessarily true in the rest of the US if you're traveling around though.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,545 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

For tips on navigating the city with young children, www.citykiddy.com

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

Thanks, I won't worry about that then!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,401 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

What hotel are you staying at? Will they provide you with a crib?

When my son was that age, we did a lot of takeout because he was an unpredictable screamer. The best park is one close to the restaurant you're getting takeout from. :) There are hundreds of little places to eat outdoors all over the city. I doubt you'll be able to pre-plan too much of that.

Enjoy your trip!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

There is Craftwich in Bryant Park. They're run by Tom Collichio of Top Chef fame & are outdoor booths so you can easily get lunch & sit down on a park bench.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 18:55
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

Also in Bryant Park is a building that has public restrooms so that you can change baby.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

Thanks for great tips, we really look forward to this trip, third time in the city but first time with our little boy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
526 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

We were there with our 6 month old and breastfed her all over the city without one sideways look... Also, we used a baby carrier (wore her) a lot as the stroller just seemed to slow us down in the city...

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: New York with infant (4,5 month)

We will bring our Ergo, but I think it will be to hot to carry him in that all day. Also he is a bit heavy for his age 😛.