We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Visit

Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
November Visit

Hi All

I am planning a very quick visit to New York on 10th of Nov 3 night stay for my husbands 40th birthday. I will buy a book and do some reading but in the meantime can anyone suggest what's realistic to fit in 3 days and any particular sights/places to see you would prioritise?

We are staying at Row NYC near Times sq.

Also want to fit in some christmas shopping ?? Do you think there is anything special to buy in New York for my daughters first birthday ?

I cannot wait to go been dreaming of this forever!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November Visit

Take a look at the FAQ's on the right side....what to see and do. That is a great start.

Without knowing your interests(museums/sports/foodie/etc.), it would not really make sense to start suggesting things to do.

Also, have you been to NYC before?

Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November Visit

Thanks just started reading FAQ.

I'd like to just see a couple of the main highlights not really museums but would like to see the Guggenheim, Central Park, ESB then maybe a show was looking at the Christmas show perhaps? We like our food and good nightlife so bars with nice views and entertainment?

It's our first visit and probably our only one to the states for a long time. We are Irish

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November Visit

The Guggenheim is actually not one of the most universally appealing museum choices. Is there a particular reason you have selected that as your one museum? If you want a short museum visit, I'd suggest MoMA

Instead of ESB, consider Top of the Rock. Lots of people prefer it to ESB and lines aren't as long.

The places that I would prioritize are probably different than the places you will prioritize. The Top Questions section collects a lot of opinions. There are just so many choices!

My big piece of general advise is to be sure to leave time to explore interesting neighborhoods on foot, Greenwich Village is a must :-) It combines nicely with walking the Highline. It's also a great place for barhopping and music.

Some people prioritize seeing the Statue of Liberty and walking the Brooklyn Bridge, seeing Wall Street and possibly the 911 memorial at the same time. These are all in Lower Manhattan. You may want to plan a day in that area.

NYC has many stores for purchasing special baby gifts, unique children's clothing, etc. You may want to work on building out your itinerary of what you plan to do and where you plan to be, then ask for suggestions in locations that would be convenient. Otherwise the list may be just too long.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November Visit

"Christmas shopping" sales in early to mid-November may be bit premature. That said, our favorite store for infants/children's gifts is Kiddiing Around on 15th Street just east of 6th Avenue (AKA Avenue of the Americas)) where we have purchased many items over many years. For more information, see:

http://www.kiddingaroundtoys.com/

CH

Edited: 21 July 2014, 04:17
5. Re: November Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:16