We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

How hard is it cycling across Brooklyn Bridge? Especially for someone who hasn't ridden a bike in many years.

USA
Level Contributor
13,371 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

Just walk, it's typically very crowded and many of the tourists forget that the bike lane is a bike lane.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

Cycling across the Brooklyn Bridge is not "hard" at all. Thousands of folks do it every day (well, if it is raining or snowing, maybe not so many).

CH

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

As the saying goes, you never forget how to ride a bicycle =). But you have to be able to maneuvre comfortably because the lane is not that wide and pedestrians can end up in your path with no warning. =)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,805 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

I don't think it's the rusty bike riding that will be the problem, it's not that far especially on a bike. But the foot traffic and bike traffic might make it less enjoyable than it could be.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

I would worry more about what you are planning to do with the bikes before or after BB. Meaning, where are you planning to ride. Its better to ride Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges as they are much much (thats two muches on purpose) less congested. You also need to be in ok shape for all 3 for the climb up

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,805 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

That's a very good point Ziggy raised. Where are you starting and where do you want to finish?

And if you'll be using a Citibike don't forget about the 30 minute rule.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

TravelZoo has a great bike rental deal for $10 an hour with Brooklyn Bridge Sightseeing.

The pickup location with be 110 South Street.

That's what I'm more worried about - the crowds and everyone around us. We are in pretty good shape so we are not worried about the exercise. Two of us in the group have not ridden for years.

Maybe we will check out the Bridge traffic when we get there before renting the bikes.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

Expect the bridge to be very crowded. It will not be a relaxing ride where you can look at the view. You will have to keep your eyes on the path to make sure you don't hit anyone.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

And people dart out at times as they don't realize that the bike path is active. I would just walk. Much more relaxing.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cycling across Brooklyn Bridge

The lapsed bikers should probably practice a bit to renew their skills.

That being said, the first time I was ever on the BB, it was on a bike tour. There were no incidents with pedestrians. I was deliriously happy.

But the next time I was on the BB, I was walking, and IMO walking was much more fun. (Plus I didn't have to wear the dorky bike helmet the bike tour company forced upon me.)