We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

Land at JFK Airport at 5:30PM EST on 22nd of July.

Take Maryland Transit towards Howard Beach – JFK Airport $5

Howard Beach – JFK Airport to 59 St - Columbus Circle and reach hotel $7

Or Take Taxi. $40

Check in Hotel by 7 PM EST. Visit Time Square for one hour?

##### Day 1 in NY #####

07/23/14

Go to south ferry terminal from Columbus circle. Take M bus towards South ferry loop. 26 minutes

Take vouchers for the passes. Take ride in Ferry and watch Statue of Liberty.

Take lunch after the Ferry ride. Any good lunch places?

Visit Wall Street Bulls. NY stock exchange, Trinity Church, 9-11 Memorial.

Take M bus to Columbus circle.

Visit Rockefellers in the evening when we come back to Hotel?

##### Day 2 #####

Visit MoMA | Museum of Modern Art and Natural History Museum, Empire state building.

If we couldn't make it to Time Square on the first day then go on this day.

##### Day 3 Friday #####

Grand Central Station

Saturday day 4 (07/25/14)

Check out from the hotel at 12:00PM

Go to Central park. We will have luggage with us. Two carry on.

Take Taxi for the Airport.

Ellis Island
Historic Sites, History Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Museum of the City of New York
History Museums, Speciality Museums
New-York Historical Society Museum & Library
Art Museums, Children's Museums, History Museums, Speciality Museums
South Street Seaport
Historic Walking Areas, History Museums, Shopping Malls
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

-Take Maryland Transit towards Howard Beach

What is Maryland transit?

-Or Take Taxi. $40

Taxi from JFK to the city is $65-$70 with tip. Not $40.

-Take M bus towards South ferry loop. 26 minutes

A faster plan would be to take the 2 or 3 train from columbus Circle to Chambers Street and transfer to the 1 train to South Ferry.

-Go to Central park. We will have luggage with us. Two carry on.

Leave your luggage with the hotel after checkout. Then return to retrieve and take the cab($65-$70) to airport.

Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

Your Day 3 is really light.Grand Central Station is not a whole day experience. Actually I think your whole itinerary is sort of light, except for the ESB and Museum day. You also don't seem to have any plans for exploring any interesting areas of the city, such as The Village or Chelsea...and going to both Rockefeller Center (that's what I assume you mean),do you mean going to the TOTR for view?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

Grand Central is amazing but we spent only about an hour there. The guided tour lasts 75 minutes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

I'd move something from Day 2 to Day 3.

USA
Level Contributor
12,730 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

Grand Central has a self guided audio tour that is good if you don't do the guided tour. Either way, as mentioned, you won't be there that long. Take time and explore some areas like Greenwich Village, Union Square, Chelsea, Soho, etc.

New York City
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

If you only have carry on luggage y u can easily take public transport instead of the cab. Take the airtrain to the subway for $7. If you're up for it you can go to Top of the Rock after you check in at the hotel and take in the view and also take in the sites at Times Square.

Take the subway (2 or 3) to South Ferry - it will be faster than the bus. Did you already buy the Statue of Liberty tickets in advance?

Near the area there is Luke's Lobster, Delmonico's steak, Adrienne's pizza depending on what your taste is. It's in the financial district close to the bull and Wall Street area, NY stock exchange, Trinity Church, 9-11 Memorial (maybe shopping at Century 21). Then take the subway back to hotel.

Natural History Museum in the morning, (+ lunch at the Modern bar at MoMA) then MoMA, then ESB in the evening, you can also stop by Grand Central (as others already suggested you won't be spending a lot of time there).

After you check out from the hotel you can leave the bags there rather than taking it with you around the city. They can hold it for you while you're at Central Park. Take public transport back to the airport if you can and save the money for meals / souvenirs.

I'd also recommend adding Chelsea. the village, HighLine, Meat Packing, SoHo, Chinatown or LES (Lower East Side) to get a better feel of the city's locals and heartbeat depending on what else your interests are.

Enjoy.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 02:28
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

@ter1413,

I was planning through rome2rio for what to take from destination a to destination b and that's how I got it.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 03:47
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

Thanks everyone who has responded so far. I am taking notes of all the suggestions and may edit my final list by tomorrow.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,443 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

I agree that whatever your reading for airport transportation advice is not correct What is Rome2Rio?

For arrival night, why only visit TS for one hour? What will you do for the rest of your night?

For the next day, what does "Take vouchers for the passes. Take ride in Ferry and watch Statue of Liberty" mean? Are you taking the ferry to Liberty Island. That doesn't leave from South Ferry Terminal. If you're talking about taking the Staten Island Ferry for a view of SOL, this is free, so no "vouchers" or passes are needed.

For Day 4, are you planning on spending the entire day in Grand Central Terminal? This is confusing.

For Saturday, taking luggage to explore Central Park is not a good idea. Leave it with your hotel after checkin gout and return there before heading to the airport. All hotels are willing to hold luggage for you. Some charge a small fee. Either way, tip for the service.

10. Re: My itinerary/plan for NY... Please advise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:16