We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids activities at night in Manhattan

New Haven...
Level Contributor
197 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
Kids activities at night in Manhattan

Hi fellow TripAdvisors!

I am planning to spend a long weekend in Manhattan with my wife and 4 year old. I was hoping for suggestions of things to do in the evening with the 4 year old besides going to a movie/broadway show. Are there any museums that have late night hours? Any indoor minigolf/bowling/play gym type places that welcome young ones and have later hours? Any jazz clubs/live music spaces that would accept and be appropriate for a well behaved child to join his parents? While I don't need to keep him up until all hours of the night, I hate to think of having to retreat back to the hotel after dinner because I can't find any suitable evening activities. Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

4 is too young for MOST broadway shows as well

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

The Staten Island Ferry

The top of the Rock

Times Square

The New Victory Theater

Gazillion Bubble Show

Edited: 21 July 2014, 15:35
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

A child that age may get cranky after a whole day of seeing stuff or may simply fall asleep. However, you know your child better than any of us. The Met Museum is open late on Fridays and Saturdays. The Natural History Museum closes at 5:45 every day, so that is out as is the Frick which does not allow small children.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

http://www.bowlmor.com/play/home/

There's this place at Chelsea Piers.

(I had trouble navigating their website, they have many locations across the country, not really sure what is available where).

Edited: 21 July 2014, 15:56
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

If this is for summer, there are plenty of playgrounds that will be well-lit and safe until 8 or 9 pm.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,846 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

You could head to Times Square to see the lights, go to M&M World, Toys R Us, etc.

Empire State Building for nighttime views

+1 that most Broadway shows have minimum ages and often it's 6.

You may want to check for particular kid-friendly events happening on your dates.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,876 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

Times Square crowds may be overwhelming for a 4 year old. We were there a couple of weeks ago and my friend is tiny (shes in her 30s) and she hated it. We kept getting pushed and shoved away from each other. We retreated underground in the subway to escape the crowd and actually be able to walk.

8. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 14:09
New Haven...
Level Contributor
197 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!! And to Fox11354 I would say, yes, often times a 4 year old is exhausted by the end of the day, but often times my son will crash towards the late afternoon and then after a nap is wide awake!!!! (And I don't want to spend a Manhattan evening watching TV in my hotel room!) There are some good suggestions here thanks for your help!

10. Re: Kids activities at night in Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:16