We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 3-day trip !

Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 3-day trip !

First trip to NYC for my 14yo niece and me. Booked Marriott herald square, is it a good location for first-timers using public transportation ?

Day1:

Arriving jfk at 7:30 am Mon 9/1, go to the hotel to drop off luggages

Need a recommended place for breakfast

After breakfast, visit NY public library, Bryan park, Grand central station, lunch, then TimeSquare, Rockefeller center, TOR (evening?)

Dinner, then back to hotel

Day2:

After breakfast, go to SOL (booked 9am)

After SOL, go to China town for lunch (need a recommendation for restaurant)

After lunch, visit world trade center, 9/11 mem, wall street, walk Brooklyn brigde, then Empire State building, dinner, then back to hotel

See a broadway show (any recommendation) in the evening

Day3:

Breakfast, then a walking tour

Central park, lunch

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Dinner, then back to hotel

Day4:

Breakfast

Need recommendation what to do for the morning

Depart Penn station Amtrak at 12:30 pm to Boston

I am running out of ideas of what to do/go on day 3 and morning of day 4 and welcome all recommendations :-) Thank you for all your help.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

**Booked Marriott herald square, is it a good location for first-timers using public transportation ?**

Yes. Subway is down the block.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

What is the walking tour on Day 3, where does it go?

Maybe on Day 4 go for a walk around the Village and Washington Square Park, lots of places you could have breakfast here. Maybe Rocco's Pastry.

Or go to Madison Square Park and see the Flatiron Building and Eataly. Eataly has great coffee or hot chocolate (cioccolato) and pastries for breakfast

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

The Lion King is amazing! For a nice dinner after your Central Park visit, consider The Boathouse. :)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,598 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

Whatever Broadway show you pick, check for availability. For example, the recommended Lion King is never on discount because of the way they price their tickets & tends to sell out although you don't mention specific dates so I don't know if you're too late to get tickets already.

Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

Hi Cyblume,

I am planning to see a broadway show on tues 9/2. Which theaters are in the herald square area or close by?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,598 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

Broadway theaters are, for the most part in Times Square. not Herald Square. It's not a bad walk to

Times Square but I am at a loss to think of any theater in the Herald Square area.

The Theater District is 40th to 55th Sts & 6th to 9th Sts roughly. Herald Square is on 34th & Broadway.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,874 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

A few general comments on your plans. For arrival day, do Times Square last. It's more exciting after sundown. TOTR is more exciting during daylight or at sunset. You want at least some daylight for views of Central Park (from TOTR). So just switch those two around You may have time to do a bit of 5th Ave window shopping as well.

On Day 2, consider doing ESB after dinner rather than before. You may have shorter lines. Buying tickets in advance can help avoid the ticket buyer's lines, but there are other lines and they can be long.

If you see a Broadway Show on Tuesday, then you'll probably need to skip ESB unless you do it after the show (open until 1am). Lots of people don't do both ESB and TOTR anyway.

Scheduling a Tuesday night show may leave you feeling a bit rushed for Brooklyn Bridge and your other afternoon activities Some shows may start at 7pm (and that's curtain time, not arrival time)

Day 3: You can do ESB after dinner this day. Or do a show this day as you will have more control over your timing.

As others have mentioned, Broadway theaters are all in one general area around Times Square. Don't let theater location play a roll in your choice of show You an get to any of them easily enough by walking or taking the subway. If you like to walk, they are all walkable - probably in under 30 mins, but maps.google.com can be more precise (hit the person icon in the directions section).

Day 4 morning: This could also be a good time for ESB if you get an early start. It's in the area of your hotel and Penn Station, so easy to leave your bags with your hotel, then return to pick them up before the train.

Day 4 morning could also be a great time to walk the Highline. Stop for an early lunch at Chelsea Market. Maybe grab something yummy to eat on the train ride as well. That would be my preference over ESB, but ESB would be very simple. Do get there very early though!

+1 for making time to explore Greenwich Village. Note that it's perfectly safe to be out late, after dinner. Consider early evening exploring and dinner in the Village.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

The Met Museum is HUGE with a great deal to see.

I would look at their web site, and pick out a few things that you want to see. You will have a better time if you focus on what things interest you.

Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

Thanks Christnp2 for making great suggestions :-)

I will move the broadway show to day 3 (Wed). This will leave my Tues night open and we don't have to rush on other activities during the day. If we finish dinner early, we could catch another show (using lottery ticket) or exlore the village as you suggested. By the way, where is the best site to book the show for Wed and what shows are recommended for a 14yo girl?

For day 4, we will do esb and the market. How long does it take to do esb? You also mention that I have to book the ticket for esb, how advance should I buy the ticket (day before, week or month?). Do you think we have enough time to do both esb and Chelsea market?

Thanks again for your great suggestions !

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,874 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with 3-day trip !

The best site to book a show depends on which show you choose. Some shows are never discounted. Others are regularly discounted. Broadwaybox.com is good for seeing discounts.

For buying regular priced tickets, just find the show's official website and follow links. Usually it will link to Telecharge or Ticketmaster - whichever is their official seller.

If you are willing to pay full price, Wicked would be my suggestion. Just book on their official website. www.wickedthemusical.com/broadway-tickets There are lots of other favorites though.

For Day 4, no I don't think you have time to do both. You will need to get back to your hotel to collect your bags and get to the station.

Sorry, I don't know what to predict with line times at ESB. Their website says 8am opening is usually shortest. esbnyc.com/visit-empire-state-building/faq

Also note that if it's not a clear day, it's really not worth going. Even on a day with a good forecast, the top of the ESB can be shrouded in clouds and fog in the morning. It varies.

I haven't personally booked ESB tickets, but if they simply email them to you with no printing required, you could decide at the last minute whether to go. Or just bite the bullet and buy tickets there.