My first time in New York is coming up! Very excited, and I have been working on my day to day plan. I am flexible about this, and times are approximate with the idea I might need to adjust them when I'm there. But I still definitely wanted a timed out plan!
I'd love to get feedback on whether people think this Itinerary sounds practical with what I'm doing and when I want to do it. Please also let me know if I have not given myself enough time in places, or too much. Sorry for lengthy post!
A little about me to give you an idea of what will suit me:
I'll be travelling all the way from Australia solo, and I'm a big movie/tv fan.
I'll also be travelling to Washington DC for a night in between to be a tourist over there :)
And I'll be staying at two different hotels in NYC but both close to the south of Central Park.
I've booked 4 of the CityRover walking tours already cos they look like they'll suit what I want really well. I'm more of a morning/day person too and not interested in nightclubs or drinking at pubs :)
Arrive around 5pm at Airport, eat then taxi to hotel and stay in
MONDAY (if I'm up to it)
- 9am Grab some groceries, like snacks I can have later, any toiletries I didn't bring already, etc
- 9:30am Checkout the subway and buy 7day metro ticket
- 10am Glance at Central Park, visit either the MET or Museum of Natural History
- 1pm Grand Central Terminal and do audio tour, then Chrysler Building lobby
- 2pm NY Public Library and do tour
- 3pm Times Square
- 4pm Time to do other museum I didn't do earlier?
- 10am CityRover Behind the Wall tour, includes view of Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Wall Street and the stock exchange, and Saint Paul’s Chapel
- 1:30pm 9/11 Memorial
- 2:30pm Flatiron building (just have a walk past)
- 3pm Empire State Building (note to self: Ben and Jerry’s is nearby)
- 4pm Museum of Modern art, if I'm up to it
- 10am CityRover Central Park tour
(at 2pm do Gracie Mansion tour maybe, do they still do this??)
- Lunch at Tom’s Resturant, and walk past Columbia University?
- 2:30pm Museum of Moving Image
- Would I have time to just have a quick look at the pier (I think it's Pier 54?) that Titanic was meant to go to?
- 10am CityRover Village Sampler tour, includes Chelsea Market, High Line, Meatpacking District, Greenwich Village, ends in Washington Square
- 1:30pm Walk past New York University and have lunch
- 2:30pm Puck Building (from Will and Grace)
- 3pm Times Square, Toys’r’Us ferris wheel etc, (more extensive look)
- 4pm Rockefeller Centre TOTR
(I would love to also do NBC studios tour, not sure if it will open again in time though..)
- 5pm A museum/something I missed from the past days maybe
- 10am Statue of liberty and Ellis Island
- Entertain myself a bit with food and looking at things (see Titanic Memorial Park?)
- 2:30pm Have a walk around City Hall Park
- 3pm CityRover Brooklyn Bridge tour, starts near City Hall Park and includes walking over Brooklyn Bridge, DUMBO neighbourhood, Brooklyn Bridge park, and Brooklyn Heights Promenade
SATURDAY (shopping day)
- 9am Tiffany and Co
- 9:30am FAO Schwarz
- 10:30am Barney’s
- 11:30am Bloomingdales
- 1:00pm Dylan’s Candy Bar
- (need to drop shopping at hotel?)
- 2:00pm Frick Collection (museum)
- 4:30pm Macy’s (I know it's in a different direction but I don't know if I'll fit it in elsewhere)
- Prospect Park Zoo, or Central Park Zoo
- Coney Island
- Any other leftover things I can fit in
MONDAY (was going to have a lazy "hotel day" in a fancy hotel, but could do stuff instead soo...)
- Hotel Day
- The Cloisters, Bronx Zoo and NY Botanical Gardens
Not sure yet! :P
TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY - go to DC and back doing touristy stuff there
- Have a lazy-ish morning in hotel
- 11:30am Checkout of hotel, and store luggage there (pretty sure I can do that there?)
- 12pm Onlocations Movie/TV Central Park site walking tour (goes for 2hrs)
- 2/2:30pm Travel to airport to fly back home
As you can see I have only planned day time. I would like to do things at night too, but I figure I can see how tired I am and what I'm in the mood for.
Here are a few possible night time activities:
- Comedy Clubs
- Empire State Building or TOTR at night
- Broadway show
I have practically not planned where I will have any meals, but I might post about that later! Although I don't think I'll mind just finding them along the way :)