We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

My soon-to-be wife and I are staying at the Affinia Dumont at 150 E 34th St from September 15 to 23, so we'll need plenty of options for breakfast.

I'm just wondering if you knowledgeable people can suggest any great places for breakfast around that general area? Anything from diners, to cafes, to coffee and bagel places would be welcomed. We would probably be looking to spend less than $25 each.

Thanks!

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

Scotty's Diner on Lexington is the real thing. There's also a Dunkin Donuts next door to the hotel for a quick coffee and donut to get you out the door and on your way.

The rooms at the Dumont have big refrigerators and dishes. When we stay there we walk down to 3rd Ave. and go to Gristedes grocery for breakfast stuff, snacks, and drinks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,396 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

Sometimes it's good to eat near the hotel and sometimes it's good to eat wherever your first stop of the day will be. Mix it up a bit. Work out your plan for each day then see what's near your first stop. You can try more places this way.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

Thanks for those suggestions Rassi.

Im helping friends with their first trip to NYC and have booked them into the Dumont as well for this October so this is really handy, especially about Gristedes grocery! :-)

And congrats James on upcoming wedding. You will both love NY! Enjoy! :-)

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

Thanks Rassi, will try to check out Scotty's. Cheers for the tip on Gristede's as well, I was wondering about a grocery store nearby.

@Aynat, yeah I was thinking we would try to do that depending on what our plans were. I'm planning on us heading to Grand Central in the morning one day, so we'll just have breakfast in the food court there that day.

Thanks Santorina!

Has anyone been to the Murray Hill Diner around the corner from the Affinia Dumont?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

There is place right under your hotel called Barking Dog

You can also go to Gemini Diner on 35th and 2nd

There is 2nd Ave Deli on 33rd between 3rd and lexington. It is a famous traditional NYC Jewish Deli.

http://www.2ndavedeli.com/

My fav is Sarges. It is open 24/7. It is on 36th and 3rd

http://www.sargesdeli.com/

It you are missing your Aussie Pies then there is Pie face on 34th and 3rd. It is also open 24/7

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

Also, stay away from GROSSTEDES (Gristedes). I am sorry Rassi ...i hate that damn store.

If you wanna buy groceries, then goto Fairway on 30th and 2nd.

Food emporium and DAG are doable too. I find DAG pretty expensive usually.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

Thanks for those suggestions, idrinkwater. Any thoughts on the Murray Hill Diner?

Wow, I had no idea Pie Face had expanded that far! I think we'll manage without Aussie pies for a while.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

I love Gristedes! You ride an escalator down into the store!!! And its so compact with tiny carts! Then you walk home with your groceries! its so foreign from shopping in Ohio. I love it. We only buy a box of cereal, milk, and some chips. Its just a cool urban experience.

Murray Hill diner is just a diner. Scottys has better food and the atmosphere is very New York.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 13:45
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

I heartily second Scotty's Diner - great place, extensive menu, fair pricing - my brother and I go there everytime we stay over in the City for a sporting event.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast suggestions around Affinia Dumont

Oh no Rassi.....please don't say that. You will break my heart. Even Fairway and Food Emporium have escalators. Grosstedes is the most expensive and has the worst quality. I once got Rotisserie Chicken quarters and it was hard as a rock.

The other time i saw a piece of Tilapia fillet with a fly inside all neatly packed. I still have that picture on my facebook.

You should try Fairway next time.