We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

Cardiff, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

Hi guys,

booked my hostel on Amsterdam Ave in Manhattan and wondered could anyone recommend any sites to find some decent sports bars, convenience stores, a laundrette and a barber shop nearby.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,551 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

I'd start with google. Select "maps" from google,com and enter the address of your hostel. The location will display, along with an option to "search nearby" and you can then enter any search term for whatever you're looking for.

Menupages.com for restaurants. Or Yelp.com

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,326 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

Amsterdam Avenue is 5 miles long. I assume you mean the Hostel at W 103rd St. Anyway, on Amsterdam and on Broadway, there is a convenience store on every block (about every 1/20 mile); there are laundromats within blocks (because it's near apartment buildings and a University), and there are thousands of barbershops in NYC. You are right near the 103 St station of the #1 train, and near enough to the 96th St. station of the #1,2,3 trains.

It's like saying: I'm in London along Bayswater/Oxford/New Oxford/High Holborn; is there a newsstand nearby?

Edited: 24 July 2014, 16:03
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

You could also try the folks who run the hostel or perhaps even the other hostellers to see if they have any recommendations.

Also, recommendations here would be easier if we knew the nearest cross street.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

Hey Steve T:-) Assuming you mean the one on 103rd and Amsterdam Avenue, more laundry places than you could shake a stick at.. as well as convenience stores from local bodegas to Walgreen's on 97th and Broadway.. to Duane Reade on 102nd and 106th Streets on Broadway.. Rite Aid on 104th and 110th Streets on Broadway;-)

For sports bars, check out the Dive.. one at 95-96th on Amsterdam.. another on Broadway and 101st Street.. Pourhouse between 107-108th on Amsterdam.. FWIW, the area on Amsterdam between 106-110th is packed with local bars, eateries.. you won't fall short on watching sports in the area;-)

For a local barber that's been around for eons, head to Alex's barber shop on 100th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam;-) EnJOY!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,362 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

Assuming you are staying here: http://hinewyork.org/

There are tons of shops of all kinds along Broadway. There is also a Whole Foods grocery on Columbus between 97th and 100th that has a large take-out food buffet.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 16:46
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

HUGE steeler fan (go stillers ;-) so blondies is my go to for game day regardless of where i am

212 W 79th St between am and broad. super friendly and consistent service, even when they are slammed

prob won't be big on here but check this

www.yelp.com/biz/blondies-new-york…

Edited: 25 July 2014, 06:27
Cardiff, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

Cheers dude!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

hah! lots of us are girls ;-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

LOL! Well said EUwunderluster;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

10. Re: Best places near Amsterdam Avenue...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16