We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet again, dinner suggestions

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Yet again, dinner suggestions

My wife and I just decided to take a trip to NYC for our upcoming 40th anniversary. Wow, I'm old! Anyway, our plan is to take in a broadway show on Saturday night while there and then on Sunday, go to a nice restaurant before retuning home Monday am. Our trip is in mid September.

So a 2 part question:

1). We want to find an "interesting" restaurant around the theater district. By interesting, good food with interesting surroundings/ambiance. Doesn't have to be "fancy", casual fare is fine. We're typically "simple" folk.

2). A nice restaurant that can be accessed by subway, easily, from the Times Square section. We stay at the Muse which is a block from TS.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

www.menupages.com

www.eaternyc.com

One of our fav's - Pietrasanta, corner of 9th and 47th - walking distance to the theater district.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

On 46th between 6th and 5th Emporium Brazil has very good steaks and traditional Brazilian food. Next door is Azkedinez which as very good Turkish although not much ambiance.

Diane

NYC Photo Safari

Wellington, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

I really don't know much about you so it is really hard to make a good suggestion.

I think if you are looking for desert, Levain Bakery is a very good place.

It is at 167 W 74th St.

The cookies are really big, about the size of the whole hand.

These cookies are decadent so ordering some milk with your cookies will definitely be the way to go.

Share this with a friend if you want, because I'm sure 1 cookie equals to at least 2-3 average-sized cookies

Come during hours that aren't as popular to avoid a long wait/line.

If you are looking for Specialty Food, Hemispheres (76 9th Ave) is a good place to go.

It's hard to name exact dishes since they change the menu every week, but in the past their fish/seafood is spot on, pork loins are tender, and their soul food side dishes are exactly that... food for the soul.

They have like 4 different bread options to choose from, three types of cheeses, and a vegetarian option

These restaurants provide you many different options for meal so it can be a little bit overwhelmed.

I hope that help.

Binh

Travel alone or with someone?

…blogspot.com/2014/07/travel-alone-or-with-s…

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

Outhouse.

Are you willing to venture away from TS, but easily accessible by subway? If so, we can provide some great choices. What types of food are your favorites?

CH

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

We are indeed open to Subway travel. I suggested historic Peter Lugers but wifey didn't like the idea of a cab ride. Again, looking for someplace close to the theater district then a "good" dinner the next night. Thanx all for your suggestions!

Graham, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

While I was there a few months ago, I had lunch at the Fraunces Tavern in the financial district. I dined from the lunch menu, but it was delicious so I'm sure the dinner menu is as well. It's a really interesting place with a comfortable ambience. It has an interesting history as the meeting place for the Sons of Liberty during the American Revolution and the place where Washington said farewell to the troops. There's a museum upstair as well, but I suspect it will already be closed at dinner time.

http://www.frauncestavern.com/

My all time favorite place to eat is Cowgirl Seahorse next to the Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side). It's very casual, but the food is so so good and the people are friendly. It's sort of a mix of Southern, seafood, and tacos. Like I said, it's very casual but oh so good.

http://cowgirlseahorse.com/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

For your more casual dinner near the theatre district an "interesting" neighbourhood is Hell's Kitchen, just west of Times Square. 9th Ave has the most numbers of restaurants (heaps of them from all around the world!) but 10th Ave also has a few as well as the side streets. It's more local than TS and miles better food.

Here's some recco's: eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

I can recommend Danji, Pure Thai, Ippudo, Taboon, Mercato and 5 Napkin Burger for sit-down, mid-range food. Cheaper places that are good are Tehuitzingo, Gazala Place, Empanada Mama, Sullivan St Bakery and Bis Co Latte.

Also check out that same blog for restaurant recco's in other neighbourhoods.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

If you are willing to splurge up to $250 a head you can try Eleven at Madison Park. You have to book exactly 28 days out (thats when tables are released on Opentable). Just dined there and it was the most fantastic experience I have had, and I have done 1-2 and 3 star michelin restaurants. They are rank 4th in the world in St Perigeions guide.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

For your pre-theater dinner

Agree Akdeniz for Turkish is one good idea. They have a prix fixe pre theater

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/akdeniz/

If you want steak, Capital Grille in the Time Life Building is at the northern end of the theater district and does a $39 3 course pre theater that includes 2 steak options.

Molyvos, a Greek place is also at the northern end of the theater district and does a pre theater.

For your nice restaurant on Sunday, what about

Rivercafe.com

It's probably the most popular special occasion restaurant with lovely view of the Manhtattan skyline. But it's also in Brooklyn. dizzy's Coca Ola is a great jazz club in the Time Warner building at Columbus Circle. Good music, nice view and good (but not outstanding) food.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet again, dinner suggestions

Theatre: john's pizza. Restaurant in an old church, great pizza and pasta. Crowded, casual,leave enough time. We eat at the bar now so we miss the interesting surroundings but never miss curtain.