We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

Hi...

We are staying in Manhattan next month at Comfort Inn Chelsea in Flatiron district.

On our last full day - Sat Aug 30, we have to go to Milford, CT and return around midnight. Next day our flight from JFK is at 600pm - so we plan to reach JFK around 300pm.

With three of us, the return train tkt from Grand Central Stn to Milford on Metro North is about $28 (on web) = $84 total. Plus we have the expense of going to JFK next day as well.

Just a thought - does it make sense for us to rent a car on Sat around 300pm in Manhattan and drive to Milford? We would be back midnight to our hotel - where do we park the car???

Next day (Sunday) - we would check out around 11am, some shopping and then basically drive to JFK and return the car by 300pm.

The car rental on Hertz works out to about $100 - is anything less possible?? This is also the labor day weekend.....would we likely face traffic anywhere - especially along I-95 to / from CT??

Suggestions welcome !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

hotwire for cheaper cars but be sure the rate is all inclusive.

parking in manhattan? OUTRAGEOUS :(((((( if theres a nearby garage (google or email hotel, perhaps they have a partnership with a nearby garage or lot). be sure to factor in feul/petro for $5 gallon and optional insurance. noon leaves you over a 24 hr period. you dont want to be driving manhattan.

i say take the trains, much less hassle. plus you can take the mta subway to the airtrain for 2.50 + 5.00 p/p back to JFK. cab is flat fare for 52.00 + tolls 5-7.50 + tip so figure $72

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

out of personal curiosity, i checked the hotel website about parking.

"No parking available at the hotel. Recommended nearby public parking based on availability. 24hours : $28.00 subject to change. Additional $10.00 and up for oversized vehicles. Family Suites are connecting rooms (SDDT, SKDD, SNKDD). "

when i pinned the hotel on a googlemap and searched nearby for parking, several options came up but i would verify that ahead of time and general availability. rate for one was about $55 for 24 hours. which is crazy but not as crazy as i thought.

iconparkingsystems.com/facilities/…

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

$100 for two day car rental on a holiday weekend seems VERY cheap to me. Are you sure about that?

Or is it $100 per day?

And does that price include insurance and taxes?

There will be tolls as well as gas and parking.

While Sat and Sun traffic will not be as bad as Friday pm, it still could be a pretty stressful drive.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

Thx friends ! - will take this advice and stick to the trains only...

As for subway, we would still have our 7 day unlimited card - so can use these on Sat / Sun..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

even though you are only doing a 1 day/24 hour one way rental (pick up in the city, drop at the airport, if i am interpreting your correctly) and even IF it ended up being cheaper (doubtful once you factor in all the extras beyond the rate itself) i would still recommend train travel. may i ask is your preference driving, cost or convenience?

i initially missed holiday weekend and to me that's the clincher to train, relax and enjoy the trip and let someone else to the driving :-)

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

EU

Thx - get your point ! - For JFK we may end up taking LIRR to Jamaica and then Airtrain....

7. Re: Car rental in Manhattan - does his look good??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 06:15