We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for 5 night stay

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
110 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for 5 night stay

I'll be in NYC Friday - Wednesday this coming week, attending a conference at John Jay College M-W. I'm trying to keep the cost down for accommodations in the city, maybe around $160/night. Being a lone female I also don't want to compromise safety or cleanliness. Is that unrealistic? I am thinking the first couple of days I could stay in a less expensive area and see one part of the city and for the conference (Mon & Tues nts) my budget could go up a little and stay in midtown/Manhattan area.I have a small per diem to use for Mon & Tues night. Comments?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for 5 night stay

That's a very low budget for Manhattan and you've left it late. There's a 3* hotel in midtown central on Hotwire for $186/night with 100% thumbs up rating. I think it's the Hilton Garden Central Park South. You could try bidding on Priceline and might get something for less. I think it would be a shame to have to move hotels unnecessarily.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
110 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for 5 night stay

Thanks, nywhiz, I would rather not change places to stay, but if it meant saving $100 I would do it. Then I could maybe afford to see a play. I get in late, about 10pm, in Newark NJ on Friday. Should I just stay somewhere there for the first night and head out early Saturday?

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for 5 night stay

That's a budget call. I don't see any great bargains at the airport for that night. I'd personally prefer being where I want to be in the morning but you may not. If there were a deal in Jersey City for the weekend near a PATh train, that might make sense but I don't see one.

4. Re: suggestions for 5 night stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 06:16