We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to NYC in December 2014 - Where to Stay?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to NYC in December 2014 - Where to Stay?

Hi fellow posters- I know, I know... What am I thinking going to NYC in early December? I heard it's the busiest time of the year. An opportunity presented itself and I couldn't say no. Some peer pressure from my 16 year old daughter contributed! There are four of us traveling to NYC (2 Moms, 2 sixteen year old girls). Arriving early Friday & leaving Sunday late afternoon.

We decided to all stay in one room. I booked at the Marriott Courtyard Soho based on a great rate ($359 for 2 double room) and good reviews. We plan to do some sightseeing, shop, see a Broadway show & have some great meals. Is Soho a good area to stay, especially in December? Ideally we'd like to stay below $500 per night, but are willing to spend more if something is fabulous. I'm also torn because I love the feel of the bigger, grander hotels but know that we won't spend much time in our room. I'd love some advice. Thanks!!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to NYC in December 2014 - Where to Stay?

A "medium-size" hotel in NYC is usually bigger than a "big" hotel anywhere else. The big hotels in New York often have 1500 rooms; it takes forever to check in, forever to check out, forever to get an elevator. The biggest hotel where I live in Washington, has not even 1000 rooms, and it's considered, in the rest of America, HUGE.

A Marriott hotel in an intersting neighborhood is better than anything. And it's one block from the #1 train and 2 block from the C and E trains. And, it's just south of Greenwich Village and just west of Soho. And with four of your taking a taxi often will be the easiest anyway to get anywhere. There might be others more central, but no hotel in New York is near everything; it's only near the small part that it's near. So with teenagers you might as well pick someplace that looks a CW TV show location. And that's Soho.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Washington
Washington
United States
New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to NYC in December 2014 - Where to Stay?

For a quick trip like that why not try a Lap Of Luxury NYC hotel? You only live once!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to NYC in December 2014 - Where to Stay?

Wife and I stayed at the hotel for a weekend recently. Hotel was fine - small lobby (def not grand), small room (I used points so maybe that's why) but we LOVED soho - very neighborhood-y feel, restaurants, shopping, street vendors which we liked the most. We have been to NY a number of times and this was a most-pleasant change - usually we stay in busier midtown.

That said - I'm not so sure about December, because (I'm assuming) you'll want to see the Christmasy stuff like storefronts (don't laugh - they're spectacular), the tree at Rockefeller Center, etc. If so, that's further north, midtown area.

If above is true, don't panic, there's always the subway, buses, and taxis. Its really a question of whether you want your hotel close to your sights, how much transit, walking or vehicular, you can tolerate. I tend to think you're going to want closer to midtown, again an assumption on my part. Good luck.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to NYC in December 2014 - Where to Stay?

I think you made the right choice. The best restaurants are in your area, everything else is easily accessible by cab. You can spend a few hours shopping up near Rockefeller center and Radio City then get back to soho and relax without having to swim like a salmon going through the upstream of tourists. Great choice, it seems like you did your homework!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to NYC in December 2014 - Where to Stay?

Thank you for the replies! After talking to my friend and reading your comments, we decided it might be best to move a little closer to the action, although NorthofDC, you cracked me up with the CW comment - you certainly know a thing or two about what teenage girls like!! I am certain that I will love NYC and will bring my hubby back. I'd guess that Soho would be the perfect location to stay as a couple, especially in the summer or fall.

We decided we'd rather not stay right in Times Square and are now looking at the Courtyard NY Manhattan Herald Square and the Courtyard NY Manhattan Midtown East. The Midtown one is slightly cheaper but more importantly, has queens instead of doubles. Has anyone stayed at either? The Midtown rooms are 410 square feet. I can't find the square footage of the Herald Square rooms. Maybe a bad sign? I know the Courtyard NY Manhattan Times Square rooms are only 220 square feet!! It looks like Herald Square is a little closer to the action.

Thank you again TA friends - your comments are truly appreciated!

6. Re: First trip to NYC in December 2014 - Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 06:16