We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

1 post
Save Topic
Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

Hi

My husband and I are planning on visiting in November 2014. I've already read some information but just want to check with people who actually know, that if we visit before Thanksgiving, will we still experience Christmas? i.e Ice Skating, Christmas lights, markets etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated along with any recommendations for mid price hotels?

Many Thanks

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

How early in November? Exact dates are also needed for hotel suggestions. Prices fluctuate.

"Mid price" means different things to different people. Do you have a nightly budget in mind?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

Apparently, the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree will not be lit for the first time in 2014 until Wednesday, December 3rd.

CH

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

Here are the dates from last year, a good indication of what you will likely find this year.

http://nymag.com/guides/holidays/lights/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

Some department stores may put up Christmas decorations by mid-November; but vast majority will be up right after Thanksgiving holiday. Christmas trees and Christmas/Holiday markets will start early week after Thanksgiving in late November or first few days of December.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

Rockefeller Center hangs a curtain in front of their tree while it is being decorated. How soon this comes down prior to the lighting, I cannot say. I suspect you could get a side view of it full time, but not from Fifth Ave.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

As you've heard from the others, it depends on how early in November you arrive. The holiday season gets into full swing after Thanksgiving, which in 2014 will be on Thursday, November 27th. Pretty much everything will be decorated and lit up by then except for the outdoor trees, which are generally lit in the first week of December. As mentioned above, the Rockefeller Center tree lighting is Wednesday, December 3rd this year.

Here is the 2013 Christmas thread listing the opening/unveiling/lighting dates of the windows, markets, trees, etc. Most of the 2014 dates have not yet been announced, but last year Thanksgiving was on November 28th, so most of them will probably just move up by one day:

tripadvisor.com/…53972764

Enjoy! :

7. Re: Is NYC christmassy before Thanksgiving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 06:16