We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
105 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

I am arriving about 10pm Friday (8/1) and need help with not just getting to Manhattan area from Newark airport, but also options to get to a hotel that may be in Upper West Manhattan or at the other end, the financial district. I am on a bit of a budget for the first few nights of my stay, and have tentative rez for Astor on the Park. Can I get to areas outside of where the Airtrain takes me without spending an arm and a leg? Thanks!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

10 PM? That's not so late. There are two ways: Train + subway, and bus + subway.

If you want to go cheaply by train, just buy a New Jersey Transit ticket to NYC, take the Newark Airport Airtrain to the railroad station, take a New Jersey Transit train (NOT Amtrak) to New York Penn Station at 34th St. and 8th Avenue (20 minutes). Then take the uptown "C" train to 110 St; the hotel is at 106th.

The trains and the subway run every 10 minutes till midnight, and then the normal express "A" train becomes a local after midnight, stopping at 110 (and 103rd) instead of skipping them, as it does before midnight. Total cost: $12.50 + $2.50 = $15

OR:

A nice alternative is this bus service:

www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Get off at the first stop in New York: 41st and 8th, where you get that same uptown C train at the 42nd St Station. Total cost $16 + $2.50 = $18.50 and a bit less confusing.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 20:06
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

By the way, the city just starts getting a second wind at 10 PM; it makes LA look like a sleepy town.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
105 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

Thanks! I am partial to trains, and someone told me the train is generally faster than the bus. But it does sound more streamline to just get on the bus. It looks like I may not stay at the Astor anyway. I imagine public transport is plentiful on Friday nights no matter what at hotel I land.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

It should be pointed out that Astor on the Park is operating as an illegal hotel. Do a forum search if you want more details.

Upper West Side is an awesome area to stay in, just not there.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

How about the Comfort Inn on W 71 St and Central Park?

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
105 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

Thanks for the suggestion of Comfort Inn. They do have competitive prices.

It looks like I'll be staying at the other end of Manhattan, at The Jane. I know - my friend told me the rooms are tiny but I don't plan on spending much time there except to sleep. The rate was the best I could find and I want to see that part of NYC anyway. Unless I hear strong recommendations against staying there, I'll be keep my rez for the 2 nights there. I'm assuming the subway goes to that area also?

Edited: 31 July 2014, 02:55
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

There isn't anywhere in Manhattan you can't reach very easily by subway at any time of the day or night (24/ 7).

The Jane is in a great area - great nightlife - lots going on. A lot of fun. Busy and safe well into the night - easily accessible by subway. This is not the sticks. This is not the hinterlands.

I've been to small towns like Sydney Australia. I've been to small towns like Tokyo Japan. I've been to little provincial places like Toronto Ontario Canada and even places like London, Hong Kong, and Buenos Aires. Nothing is as alive or has the energy New York City has - I've even been to Paris, Berlin, and Sao Paulo. Nothing compares.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
105 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

Thanks, MoreFFmiles. You've relieved my slight anxiety about venturing into the unknown (for me). I'm so excited about my trip!

9. Re: Newark Airport - transportation to NYC late?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:15