We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn

Hampshire
Level Contributor
176 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Brooklyn

Hi interested in your opinions

I'm getting married in NYC in September next year and quite a few friends will also be coming to NYC with us My fiancée and I have been to NY before and thought we would say in Brooklyn for a couple of reasons partly because its cheaper , partly because we have done the mid town thing and think it might be nice to see another side of NY research tells me there are express links into town plus understand its becoming more and more trendy what is there not to like?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,400 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooklyn

Yes Brooklyn is really nice (probably my fave after Manhattan) and yes it's probably cheaper than Manhattan but imo I'd still prefer to stay in Manhattan and just do day trips to Brooklyn. How much did you want to spend?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
407 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooklyn

While public transportation can get you around quite easily, fi you stay in Brooklyn or LIC you will be spending part of each day getting to & from various activities.

While it might be cheaper I would still opt to stay in Manhattan especially if friends are joining you.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
176 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooklyn

Thanks for your response about £ 800 ish for a week for 1 bed self catering any specific districts you might suggest? We are not big on night life mybe a nice meal during the day we are likely to be visiting sporting venues and just relaxing

Hampshire
Level Contributor
176 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brooklyn

Food for thought ... I used to live just outside London and I know what you mean

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brooklyn

<<1 bed self catering any specific districts you might suggest?>>

If you are referring to an apartment they are almost all illegal in NYC. There are very specific parameters that have to be in order for one to be legal. I''ll let the locals for Brooklyn help guide you to any that might be. If I remember correctly it would have to be in a bldg where the owner lives there and has only 3 or less other apartments.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brooklyn

Forget the apartment rentals - they are illegal for less than 30 days

If you can say what you nightly budget is, people can suggest some possible hotels for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,415 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brooklyn

Can you post your dates and budget (in US$) and clarify if your looking for accomodation just for you and hubby-to-be/hubby or for your friends too. Even if what you're looking for is just for you two, I'd think trying to be close to your friends will be handy for the week.

I also would think about what you want to do while you're in NYC...besides the wedding (congrats). There's a lot more to do on Manhattan besides the 'midtown thing'.

If you're wanting to explore Brooklyn more than Manhattan, then staying there is logical.

I also think that thinking about the logistics of the BIG DAY should be taken into account when deciding where to stay. I'd make that the priority.

Also Brooklyn is VERY VERY BIG and has a lot of different areas. You mention 'trendy' so I guess you're talking about Williamsburg and/or Greenpoint.

This is the map for the subways: http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html (a quick look suggests the two areas I've mentioned aren't really well serviced by a train to Manhattan - only the L train (or maybe the M,J or Z trains if you're staying further south in Williamsburg.

Here's the timetable for the L train web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tlcur.pdf - they are very regular. It would just be a matter of being able to find somewhere to stay that's near by to the subway station so you're not walking too far backwards and forwards.

If you want to stay in a neighborhood then there are many in Manhattan that may appeal and there are SOME options for hotels that have apartments and suites....

Using google converter and a calculator, I'm thinking you have about $250US a night ..don't forget to include the TAX.

Look at Affinia - there are 5 places on Manhattan, some with apartments and suites.

Have a lovely week.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
176 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brooklyn

Thank you so much for taking time to give such a helpful response. I will definitely look at your recommendations in terms of what we will do I think hubby to be and our god children want to go to a baseball / basket ball and football game oh and the Bronx zoo for some reason.

I'm happier mooching in local stores enjoying a coffee whilst people watching . We are not having a wedding in the traditional sense a shore service in the park followed by guests having a cocktail whilst take photographs are taking then a cruise /BBQ around Manhattan from north cove.

Don't get me wrong I love mid town too but it's a case of been there done that what else is on offer.

Thank you again I will keep researching

Edited: 30 July 2014, 20:58
Hampshire
Level Contributor
176 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brooklyn

Also we looked at the box hotel which offers rides to and from the station I'm not lazy but I think after a few days your feet start to ache !!!!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Brooklyn

The things you've listed that you want to do are all (with the possible exception of the basketball game) things that will be longer or much longer to get to from Brooklyn than from Manhattan. The Bronx Zoo is significantly farther from Brooklyn than it is from midtown, for example. So is the Meadowlands, where the football is. The Box House hotel, as I recall, is closest to the G train, which doesn't run into Manhattan at all, so you have to take at least two subways, or two subways and a commuter train, or three subways, to get to any of these places you want to visit.

Keep that in mind when making accomodation decisions.