We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Manhattan & Return

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Manhattan & Return

Hi,

I am travelling to NYC next month and wanted to know the best way to get from JFK to 208 1st Ave on the 14th August flight gets in at 3.50pm and then return on 18th August would leave address approx 5pm.

I have looked at super shuttle as well as carmellimo but there are a few reviews which make me a bit sceptical. Would a taxi be expensive given its around peak time on both dates?

Thanks in advance.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

Taxis between JFK and Manhattan are a flat rate plus tolls and tip, so about $70 total.

Don't use a shared van shuttle service. They are universally bad in NYC. In the Top Questions Section, question #1, you'll see a link to some shuttle horror stories.

AirTrain + subway is another option if your comfortable with handling your luggage.

Carmel Limo and Dial 7 are two car services that are mostly well liked. You might consider booking a car service for your return trip, just in case taxis are difficult to find. But for your arrival, I would just go with a taxi. Get in the official taxi line outside the terminal (don't take rides from anyone else asking if you need a taxi)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

Looking at Google Street View, this is almost certainly an illegal rental. The exception would be if you're staying IN the apartment at the same time as the regular renter (and that person has permission to do this.)

Have you reviewed all the posts about this issue as well as the second FAQ, "Vacation Rentals Violate New York City Laws."

Edited: 30 July 2014, 02:07
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

Thank you for your input, Its greatly appreciated, I am tempted to still catch the airlink and subway as its only $7.50 per way per person. But for a first timer to the city a little daunty at the thought of changing stations with my luggage. Any further thoughts?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

Thanks, I am lucky enough to be staying with a friend at their apartment. They have given me a few options but they haven't been living in NY for very long so thought I would put it out there for others who may have a bit more knowledge.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

OK, I'll take your word for it, although when people say things like I'm staying with a friend who just happens not to know the area, no one on this board really believes you. Are you sure you know what you're getting into? On Google Street View this looks like an old, unrenovated walk-up building.

Anyway, you're going to First Avenue & 13th Street. I'd take the AirTrain to Howard Beach, and get the A train toward Manhattan (destination 207th Street.) Get off at Broadway Junction and go upstairs to the L train. Take the L toward Manhattan (destination 8th Avenue) and get off at First Avenue (& 14th Street) and you'll be right there

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
390 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

NY subway is awesome and you won't have any problems getting the airtrain for the airport and then the subway!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

Thanks again AudenHoggart. Sorry you feel that way though, but my friend is recently new to New York on a work contract and hoped to get an opinion of true New Yorkers!

Thanks Stephen :) think I'll definitely take the public transport option and save some $$$ in cab fares.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

Do not jet a poster from Saint Louis dampen your enjoyment of your first visit to NY.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

Frank: No need for this. I've pointed this out once or twice before when "residency" has been used to question advice. I have LONG experience living in New York.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Manhattan & Return

Lizj:

The reason people question this is its inherent implausibility. It means that the "new arrival" really hasn't figured out where anything is yet, AND, that they have sufficient means to have recently rented an apartment that's not only big enough for them to live in, but also has sufficient space for guests. Once you see the size of typical NYC apartments you'll realize this -- unless your friends are hedge fund managers or the like.