We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the scoop about parking!

washington,dc
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
What the scoop about parking!

Driving into the city. Staying in Battery Park and hotel valet is $80 for 24 hrs. NO ins or outs or the time starts again :(

What to do?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What the scoop about parking!

bestparking.com

Find a garage that cost less. Many of these places too will have no ins or outs. BTW you do not want to take the vehicle out until it is time to leave. There is NO PLACE in Manhattan you want to go by car!

New York City
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What the scoop about parking!

And just a reminder , Do NOT park your car on a Manhattan street when you see a spot, they will TOW you not just ticket you, I think its like $350 to get your car back and you have to spend half a day at least to get it back

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What the scoop about parking!

So Howard- what you are saying is That if you are there for a week - leave your can on the street and save 200$ on parking compared to the hotel ;) ;)

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,751 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What the scoop about parking!

What rdglady said. BestParking

Also depends on the days of the week. On Sundays you can park pretty much everywhere, and to some extent Saturdays too

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What the scoop about parking!

Plus the storage fees plus the difficulty in getting the car back plus whatever the rental company adds as admin charges ;-)

New York City
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What the scoop about parking!

Yeah its like $350 for the FIRST DAY, The storage fees add up real quickly and I belive they only accept cash no credit cards..

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What the scoop about parking!

Or park outside the city and take the train in which will run you $25/day at Secaucus Junction and if you do that I would recommend making a reservation - they will guarantee you a spot even if they are full up when you get there (which is unlikely but possibe)

http://www.parkfast.com/secaucus-parking

Of course, you'll end up at Penn Station if you do this and then have to take the subway down

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,202 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What the scoop about parking!

I would go with Lives idea i have parked at hotels and yes they are a killer as far as prices go,on our next visit we will be taking Amtrak down.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What the scoop about parking!

OP: why drive form DC to NYC? There are trains and buses galore.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What the scoop about parking!

virginiaslp, are you staying with friends, or an air bnb in Battery Park City, a residential development?

You have chosen to stay in the densest, most colonial, most terrorist-secured part of the entire city. That's fine, but you can't expect to have an easy time of parking. For example, I was there yesterday, and I noticed that some parking garages near WFC and Goldman Sachs are now behind guardboxes and truck-barriers. Indeed, one garage door that said Entry was rolled down, and only the door marked "Monthly" was rolled up!

The reason for all this detail is your lament over lack of In and Out. In and Out in the Financial District is like asking for a hammer to hit yourself on the head, again and again! If you want to visit the suburbs by car, don't stay in Battery Park City, pick another location. If you want to visit attractions in the city of NY, don't plan to use the car.

OTOH, this area does have PATH trains from New Jersey, but parking isn't free over there, either. And I'd make sure you tell a live garage attendant how long you're leaving the car.