We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

subway at night

Ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
subway at night

hi , another question from me.. probably be good few more as we finalise our trip which is in 5weeks time

how safe is the subway at night ?

just thinking if were out late at night and trying to get back to the hotel are we best to just get taxi or is subway still an option .

thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: subway at night

I am an older single female who rides the subway at night, from Manhattan to my home in Queens. There are two problems riding at night

a. it gets so crowded you may not get a seat!

b. they work on train lines at night. Verify that the line you want is up and running.

Ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: subway at night

thanks for the reply , looks like we can do that then instead of spending cash on taxi's everynight.

just remember years ago my uncle lived in the bronx ( very irish part) and he mentioned it probably wasnt the safest thing to do at 2/3am in the morning.

thanks again for the reply

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: subway at night

Yes it's safe. But sometimes the "characters" come out at night on the subway. It still safe though.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: subway at night

You have probably heard the expression, "NYC is the city that never sleeps." Around midnight or so, there is a third rush hour for building and hospital workers. Not everyone works 9-5 and these people travel at night. As noted in post #1, it can get crowded.

Ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: subway at night

delighted with all the replies. thanks guys

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
988 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: subway at night

I haven't seen the following advice in a while so I'll add, IF you do happen to be in a car where something concerns you or makes you uncomfortable, the next time the train stops, get off of that car and onto a different car. It can get crowded but not every car is crowded late at night.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
784 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: subway at night

When in New York we use the subway at all times of day and night. Have never felt unsafe. Like any other city in the world - stay aware of your surroundings and you'll be alright.

Ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: subway at night

thanks folks.. be using it plenty now.

save us heaps on cabs

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: subway at night

While you get used to the system, late at night you might feel more comfortable riding near the train conductor, in the middle car. But as RDGLady says, you may not get a seat!

From the how to ride the subway guide: "If you would like to ask the conductor a question, or you feel more secure riding with him, you can position yourself on the platform to be where the conductor’s car will be when the train arrives. You can do this by looking for the “conductor boards”, which are black-and-white or black-and-yellow diagonally striped boards hanging from the ceiling in the center of the platform. Stand there and then just board that car when the train arrives."

Read the guide for a great orientation on using the subway system: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4244193…

Baltimore
Level Contributor
232 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: subway at night

It's safe, but many of the lines have fewer trains running, so it can take longer to make your trip, sometimes a lot longer.

We use taxis a lot at night, because they are much quicker, and they are not necessarily more expensive than the subway. Depending on the size of your party and how far you're going they can be pretty cost effective. You can put up to 4 people in a taxi, and you can go about 20 blocks or so for around $10. That works out to $2.50 a person for 4, same as the subway.